ABS Prob - Help Please!!

SC-U-L8ter

Just finished head gaskets on my 95 Auto and now my ABS light stays on. Have checked all the elec connections I could find and still have no change. The light sometimes goes off after starting, like normal, but as soon as I roll a couple of feet down the drive it comes back on.

I keep hearing about an accumulater around the master cyl, something shaped like a bulb, and cannot locate it. I have also checked main connector of the pump and found no corrosion.

Please help as I am headed from Dallas to Springfield, Mo this weekend!!

You could read for codes to tell for sure but I think one of your ABS wheel sensors are not working correctly. The clue being the light coming on after rolling a few feet. Pulling codes would tell you which one as well.

Your 95 has the Teves Mark IV system and has no accumulator. The 89-92 SC's used the Teves Mark II system and that had an accumulator.

I'm assuming that I pull the codes the same way I do for the ECU except that I attach the reader to the ABS diag connector.

Where can I find the code descriptions for the Teves Mark IV system? I have a Haynes manual but they don't list these codes.

32 reads as a rh front sensor. Sensor resistance should read as 800-1400 ohms if the sensor is good. Take a good look too to be sure the teeth on the ring aren't chipped or broken.

1400 ohms and no broken teeth on the ring. I beleive my next move should be to trace the wire.

Is there a resistance value or voltage that should be available on the wire leading to the main unit? Should one of the return wires be a ground wire?

There are a couple other checks listed in the shop manual , but it calls for attaching a breakout box to the ABS module connector. Then measuring between pins 3 and 20 on the breakout box. resistance should be 800-1400 ohms , but it doesnt say which pins in the 32 pin connector match up to pins 3 and 20 if you don't have a breakout box.

next step would be to lift the vehicle and measure voltage between pins 3 and 20 on the breakout box while turning wheel 1 revolution per second voltage should be between .05vac and .70vac . if not check wheel sensor mounting , air gap or toothed wheel mounting

next step it shows is check for continuity between pins 3 and 40 on the breakout box. if there is continuity check for continuity between the sensor plug pins and ground. If the sensor plug has continuity to ground replace the sensor if not but there was between 3 and 40 then there is a harness problem.

next it has to check continuity between pin 40 and ground. If no continuity service or replace harness.

and finally it shows to check the wheel bearing for excess play.

I'm not sure how to go about a couple of the tests without access to a breaker box. Maybe someone here could post which pins in the connector correspond to the breakout box pins.

Back