Getting the shakes

Big and Blown

I've owned this car for about a month now. Tires were supposedly original and with how bad the dry rot was, looked to be true. One tire was blatantly bad, wobble. So the other day I through a set of GY HP's on it for now until I get what I really want and that should take care of that shake I'm feeling... Wrong. Doesn't matter what speed I'm at, it's there. Shake will increase with speed.

I had the rims checked, I watched myself.

Tires are round, no load, no up and down motion is what I mean.

I blocked the wheels. Lifted the rear. Had my buddy fire it up in 1st and while I looked at everything:

Drivers wheel has a slight wobble, really had to look for it. Pulled it.
Used a stationary object against to hub while rotating-1/64th out maybe.
Half-shaft is wobbling up and down 1/8 to 1/4". Suspension is hanging.
Can't see driveshaft, not enough of it anyway.
U-joints?
Clutch?
Motor mount?
Pasenger side is all true and correct. Looked that way anyway.
Shake doesn't seem to be on motor side.
I can feel it in the shifter and pedals mostly.
Seems to get worse when its warmer.

My guess would be the half-shaft or clutch is somehow out of balance.
But I feel like an idiot compared to some of you so any help or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

:confused:

Last edited:
So I went for a drive and found that the shake is there at a stop. If I push on the shifter like I'm trying to jam it into gear I can feel it faintly, when I let out on the clutch I can really feel it. Anything in the 5spd that rotates continuosly with the clutch in at a complete stop.

And when I push the clutch in the shake seems to go away completely in the pedal. but not in the shifter ever!:mad:

Robert

Back