How many of you guys pay so close attention...

007_SuperCoupe

that you miss the BIG things? I study my car practically, but I just discovered something new today, that I should have discovered before I ever bought it (well over a year ago!). I know how it rides, what each little sound is, exactly how the brakes feel, etc. But I missed something kind-of big until today. Normally I park my car (back it in) at work and when I get off, approach it from the pass side. I guess I was just never very observant or maybe there were too many other cars parked near that my view was obstructed. Well, today it wasn't! And to my surprise, I have 2 driver's side wheels on the passenger side. So my first thought is, "No big deal, I'll just rotate them when I get new tires." So, like any of us SC owners, I subconsciencly look at the driver's side wheels as well. Well, they are the right one's! So now I'm driving around with the knowledge that I have 4 driver's side wheels on my SC! It's a bit embarrasing considering the fact that I've owned this car for well over a year now, and JUST noticed it! You ever feel like a complete moron? Well, I'm there right now! So if there are any of you out there, just like me, let me know. I need to feel better right now! And if there is anyone out there who has 4 passenger wheels and wants to make a deal, let me know, 'cuz I'm willing and ready...

So what you're telling me is that on the driver's side, the "spokes" flare with the rotation of the wheel and on the passenger side, they flare against it? That seems quite odd to me that the wheels would NOT rotate in the same direction.

OK, found a few pictures that confirm that...so when did Ford switch to directional?

Last edited:
After checking 4 sets of rims on my SC's, they all point the same way. I don't know if there are any rims that go the other way. I'm thinking that to save tooling and stocking costs they made all rims identical regardless of which side of the car they went on. But there may be some 'right side' rims out there.

Ford and their "Cost cutting" ways...that must be one of those things. Just never noticed it before today. I think my point still holds valid though...you pay so close of attention to the little things that sometimes you miss the bigger ones staring you in the face.

I feel a little better, but new wheels are definately on the list to buy...

The old style rims 89-92 are non-directional and do not have a left or right. The 93-95 wheels are the newer style and are directional and do have a right and left side.

'93 thru '95 wheels are the same, correct? I'm pretty sure they are. I may just see if there is any one who wants to trade their '93-'95 wheels for my '89s...

Thanks guys. I still feel like an @$$ not having noticed it before today!

I might be wrong, but I thought all 93-95 SC rims were the same. That would be directional with a left and right side. I know there are some differences in the center caps.

There is a 16" rim on the 'Bird up to 97 that looks similar but has a center cap that exposes the lug nuts. That rim is missing the little notch to remove the SC center cap.

I have a 99 Grand Am that I tought I noticed the same thing on. Turns out they are supposed to be that way. I never owned a car that had "curved" patterns in the wheels my 87 Cougar had Turbines, My 90 Tauras had spokes, my 88 Camaro had 5 stars and my XR7 Cougars have spokes. Kinda bugs you out at first doesn't it.

Joe

I thought he ment same as in... same as the 89-92 wheels other than being non directional.

Otherwise, Yes, All 93-95 wheels are the same.. L & R's that is.

Chris

Yeah, it bugs the hell out of me. But I wouldn't put it past Ford to do it again! Those "bean counters" are a real pain in the @$$ if you ask me. At any rate, I'll just have to save my pennies for the wheels that I want (still have to decide though) so in the meantime I guess I just have to live with it, even if I don't like it.

It's not just bean counters. Some people wouldn't like to find out to simply rotate their tires they need to dismount and remount the tires on the wheels to keep them facing the right way.

I thought with radials you need to keep the direction of rotation the same, so you would only move front to back and rim direction is not a problem.

Aaron

There are several different types of tire rotations. With directional wheels/tires, you simply rotate from front to rear. With non-directional wheels/tires you rotate front to opp rear and rear to same side front. Then there's the spare rotation if it is full size.

Even though these wheels are not "directional" they are what I would consider "directional." I consider non-directional wheels to "appear" to rotate the same. Meaning, no matter what side of the car they are on, they rotate the same way. Directional wheels will not rotate the same way, but "appear" to rotate in the same manner. As an example, the wheels off of a '93 SC will not "appear" (when related to it's previous position) to rotate the same way if they are put on the wrong side of the car. But on the correct side, they will. What Ford did was to make 'directional' wheels for the '89-92 SC, but somewhere along the line decided to only make 1 wheel cast instead of 2. They call them "non-directional" wheels and in a sense, they are. But only because Ford did not make wheels for the passenger side of the car. On the '93 and up SC's, Ford got smart. Of course, you can still put the wheels on in the wrong spot on the '93 and up SC's, they just rotate in the wrong direction. On the '89-92's, well, Ford put the wrong wheels on the pass side of ALL of the SC that were built!

My understanding was that steel belted radials take a "set" and you should not change their rotation. I have never had this confirmed by anyone who has reliable knowledge (engineer) but it is what I have been told many times by tire guys.

Aaron

When radials 1st came out in the mid-60s the #1 radial tires were the Michelin and Sears Radial(basically the same tire). They didn't tend to seat good on the rim immediately and the belts did indeed eventually 'set' in one direction and could separate if reversed. But, tire technology has come a long way since then. Modern radial tires can switch direction of rotation with no problem with belt separation. The reason some modern radials are directional is because of the tread pattern and how it grips the road and especially how it channels water off of and away from the tire. Reversing the tire could cause water buildup and hydroplaning in heavy rain. Some performance tires also have an inside and outside where the pattern is different on one side than the other.

Back