Popping when I turn

Sweet90SC

Hey guys,
I got new ball jopints and a new rack on my 90 SC...but when I turn it's making a popping sound... I put new tires on it the other day and the guy at the tire store said something about shims....anyone know what he is talking about???..or anyone had the same problem?...any idea's??..sounds like crap!! thanks for any help guys:D

Rick in FL:cool:

My guess is that it would either be control arms or strut bushings. In my case is was the strut bushings. Can you hear it pop while your driving striaght? If so I'd say strut bushing, if not then probably a control arm. The only other thing I could think of would be tie rod ends. They're more likely to squeek and squeel as opposed to pop

Brandon

Mine makes that noise when I need a lube job. I changed my grease fitting to 45deg. so I don't have to take the front wheels off to get the grease gun in there. Good luck

could be an easy fix

this happened to me last year, it started after i had the motor mounts changed in my car, and i knew i needed a new upper control arm on teh right side so after i got that changed and it still made the noise i was stumped....kevin from florida looked at and drove my car in carlisle and he found that my front subframe wasnt tightened all the way when the motor mounts were done, a few turns of a wrench on each of the 4 subframe bolts and my car hasnt popped again in over a year :)

PDiddy,
Do you know or remember what size socket or whatever they call them subframe bolts are? I have the same popping noice, I have replaced the whole front end as of late. So I know its not the lower or upper control arms.....Thanks!

Calvin

a few turns of a wrench on each of the 4 subframe bolts and my car hasnt popped again

That is so true. Mine actually came loose about 2months from my first attempt to tighen. So back under there again and re-tightened with no problems since.

Had(still have) a oil leak at the front crank seal and that might have contributed to them loosening.

Your noise sounds like the subframe is loose to me.
Now I gotta go punish myself for agreeing with pdennis93. :(

The sub frame bolt size is a inverted torx either 50 or 55 I can't rember but if you use a 6 point 14mm socket you can tighten them

supercharged95

supercharged95 said:
I had the same clunking about a year and half ago. It's the swaybar endlinks, I want to say they were $700 installed

if you paid 700 dollars to get all 4 sway bar links installed, parts included, you still got hosed. they are 50 bucks a piece and you can put all of them on with a jack and a jackstand in about an hour.

Back