start up problem

quick35th

My 90 35th has a problem starting up sometimes. When you try to start it every morning it bobles around 1,000 to 500 and any where between till it gets lower and lower and just dies. Then when you turn the key to start it for a second time, it starts and runs fine like nothing had ever happend. Also if you dont start it for days(I got a mustang and have been driving that) it has no problem at all. If you give it gas wile it has the problem it will rev like normal and correct it self and run fine. What gives?
Thanks!
Shane

How is your fuel mileage? Sounds like maybe something is leaking fuel down. But you can't be sure.

I'd start with a fuel pressure gauge and see how much pressure you get at idle and then see how fast it leaks down. Pressure should maintain quite well after shutting the engine down.

If fuel, a couple possibilities. The fuel pressure regulator might have sprung a leak and be leaking fuel back into the intake. If that's happening you should be running rich as well. Or an injector or two is not closing all the way leaking fuel into the cylinder.

Does the oil smell like fuel?

Mike8675309 said:
How is your fuel mileage? Sounds like maybe something is leaking fuel down. But you can't be sure.

I'd start with a fuel pressure gauge and see how much pressure you get at idle and then see how fast it leaks down. Pressure should maintain quite well after shutting the engine down.

If fuel, a couple possibilities. The fuel pressure regulator might have sprung a leak and be leaking fuel back into the intake. If that's happening you should be running rich as well. Or an injector or two is not closing all the way leaking fuel into the cylinder.

Does the oil smell like fuel?

I will have to go buy a fuel pressure gauge a check that. I had the car dynoed once and one of there added options was the air/fuel ratio. At idle it was lean like 14:1 or something in that naborhood(I forgot what it was, but I have the papers at home), and at WOT it would richen up to 10:1(I did remember that #). As for fuel mileage I get pretty good fuel economy. If I am not on it much I can get about 200 miles on a full tank of fuel. As for the oil smelling like fuel I am not to sure on that one. I use Max Life and it already smells funny out of the box. I will have to check it to see what it smell like and get back with you.

Thanks!
Shane

You can rent those gauges too from places. Some places will loan them out for free. Make sure you look into that as well.

Shane,
Are you the one that attended the open house? Anyway, how many gallons does it take to fill up what you say is a full tank? What I'm saying is that I fill it up around 240 miles/ tank (city driving). On the highway, I can probably get 300 miles on a 13 gallon fill up (I'm usually going around 74 mph). So, it kinda sounds like you have a little fuel leak somewhere, like it was mentioned before.

Michael Mattix said:
Shane,
Are you the one that attended the open house? Anyway, how many gallons does it take to fill up what you say is a full tank? What I'm saying is that I fill it up around 240 miles/ tank (city driving). On the highway, I can probably get 300 miles on a 13 gallon fill up (I'm usually going around 74 mph). So, it kinda sounds like you have a little fuel leak somewhere, like it was mentioned before.

Michael Mattix, I am the 35th owner that attended the open house. I cant remember, but was yours the black 5-speed that was out in the street with the sweet sound system in it? That open house was alot of fun! I am going to have my fuel pressure check as soon as I can get some money. Maybe someone can look at it at the Ford expo this weekend at National Trails out side of Columbus? I get off of work at 1 and will be there about 1/2 - 1 hour after with the SC and the 5.0 Anyway, a full tank is useually around 14-15 gallons(15 being me running it really low). I dont get quite that good of mileage in the city, but I think that I get good fuel mileage on the freeway.

Thanks for the help!
Shane

Back