Stock Flywheel weight

6pak2go

I was wondering the stock weight of the flywheel. I drive a '91 SC. Also, I just purchased the SPEC 11.9lb flywheel and was wondering what kind of power gains people got off the SPEC or Mcleod flywheel. I've heard good things about the aluminum flywheels, but haven't seen any numbers on them.

Brandon

Stock flywheel weight is around 30lbs. Ive never heard numbers on performance gains, but my guess would be around 10hp at the wheels. The good thing is that youre just freeing up power, not creating more, so reliability and gas mileage should actually improve.

-Travis

TBone95 said:
Stock flywheel weight is around 30lbs. Ive never heard numbers on performance gains, but my guess would be around 10hp at the wheels. The good thing is that youre just freeing up power, not creating more, so reliability and gas mileage should actually improve.

-Travis

I think the stock flywheel is more towards 40lbs. Regardless, it's too heavy for these cars. Superchargers and heavy flywheels don't mix, IMO. With a lighter flywheel, your shifts will feel much smoother, when you let go of the clutch, as well as experiencing better overall performance - low-end acceleration, fuel economy, and clutch life.

However, a heavy car and a heavy flywheel go very well together, the extra momentum helps to keep things moving. For road racing the lighter flywheel might be good, but for drag racing, I can not see what improvement you would have by allowing the engine to lose RPM's faster every time you shift.

Really, how so? Can you explain. If it is true then it has to be simply from the 10-15hp gain and not a direct corolation of less rotaating mass. I know that for road racing they like the faster RPM movement because it allows the car to slow faster. But for drag racing I would have thought a heavy flywheel would have been better.

Discussion of lightweight flywheels.

I haven't Dyno tested, or 1/4 miled my car since I put the lightweight in, but I can tell you, there is no downside. No loss of torque at all, the engine revs up faster throughout the band. If the engine can rev faster, it accelerates the car faster.

By the way I weighed all the components during my swap. My stock flywheel came in at about 33 Lbs, however this was after a few resurfacings, so a completely stock one would weigh a tiny bit more. My Mcleod weigh 13 Lbs, advertised as 15 Lbs.

Back