idling problem

89coupe

My sc is idling at like 2k to 2500 and its making a crazy suction noise as if the throttle body is closed. I had it in the shop for a backfiring and rough idling and they replaced the ignition switch. After that it seemed to be fine but now it is doin it again. From what ive been told when it backfires it shoots some mean flames out the tailpipes. The car sounds like the cats are gone, and it smells and seems like it is running real rice. Not to mention the amount of gas it consumes.... any ideas??

Does anybody know if the the upper control arms are the same for all models cause my upper ball joints are beat

The first sentence of your post sounds like a classic IAC failure.

You might want to do a search on "IAC".

Lee

Oooooo... could be time for a new EEC :eek: See if you can pull codes. Also, the IAC might be bad (soudns like it). You can't use an aftermarket Idle Air Control (IAC) unless it has the bellows diapraghm and is normally closed. If it has the wire lead strapped to the body, it won't work on the Supercoupe. Idle will race. I think Advance Auto is the only supplier of the proper IAC other than Ford. Ford price really isn't that bad :D

dude... your IAC is bad.... get a new one... dont drive with it... if it is a AOD u will burn the transmission if u keep driving with it. im telling you this my self cuz i had to rebuild my tranny twice cuz of the bad IAC. seriously dude if ur tranny is AOD dont drive. you will burn out the transmission and it will end up costing u big money like me. Im on my 3rd tranny all because of the IAC change it quickly.

ok check it out.... u have high rpms cuz of ur IAC. You come to a stop light. You press and hold the brake for the duration of the red light. It will be like holding on the brake and pressing the accelerator to do a burn out. It will eventually burn up your transmission. Cuz the transmission is spinning fast and your holding on the brake. Trust me i know.

Rats, wish I'd thought of that cause and effect two years ago when I drove around for a few weeks with a bad IAC and high idling engine, because nobody could figure out what was causing it (this was before I found this board...) A few months later my tranny started actingg funny, and a few months after that it went. :mad:

Of course, it did have 170,000 miles on it the time!! :eek:

Darkstar is correct fella's. If you are experiancing a high idle with an auto tranny car DO NOT drive it until you fix the idle with a NEW IAC. You will damage the tranny in short order. You may not hurt it in a way that is readily obvious but in a short time it WILL die on you.:)

I looked into the first replay and some advice from my dad about the IAC. So i replaced it and it made the car idle even hirer so i tried a few other things and felt like smashing my head into a wall until i read the rest of the posts. im gonna try to get the right IAC. Thanx Oh and mine is a 5spd

Back