DIS Electronics Tester?

Mike8675309

In one of the last Charging Thunder magazines there was an article on troubleshooting the DIS ignition system on our cars and the author was working on a device to assist in troubleshooting the system.

Anyone hear anything about the further development of such a device? It sure would be nice to have a tool for under $100 that you just plug into the harness somewhere and it tells you what is wrong.

This wasn't going to be just to test the DIS. But the entire DIS system, including the DIS, Crank and Cam sensor and Coil Pack and wiring.

The Charging thunder was the only place I ever heard of someone working on such a system, but never heard anything of it afterwards.

Creating something that simply fires a certain plug would not be that hard. I need to look at my EVTM to see exactly what is invoved.

A tester for the cam and crank senors could be made using an old wiring harness for the connectors and some electronics to light an LED every time the the sensor activates.

coil pack really is not needed beyond a VOM - if everything else is good then the coil pack is bad.

The real question is if there is enough interest. To make a one up unit for less than $100 is not easy - the circuit board costs eat up most of that (for prototypes). If you need 5-10 then the costs are drastically reduced.

Aaron

From my readings the ecm give a measured time pulse, meaning the length of the pulse determines timing + or -. I would think it would be easy to give the pulse, since time would not be an issue (unless there is some kind of range).

I believe Ford Rotunda tools makes a DIS tester and you can sometimes find them on Ebay.

Back