Really dumb question..

lgeninchrg

but I don't know the answer.

What happens when the timing in an engine is off?

Will the car run?
If so Can it cause problems with engine knocking?

Thanks for the help

PING PING PING PING PING

yep. Back in the day of distributors you cold advance the timing . Just by turning distributor cap. Sometime you could get 20 to 25 more horses. Of course after a race you would want to get it back to right before you started causing to much engine damage. What kind of car are we talking about. With DIS timing is controled by eec have you done any work to engine are you building an engine. What is up. As long as you don't mess with cam sensor you should be ok. Some guys have got the timing 180 degrees off opposite of what it should be what are you trying to do.

what I am trying

is to not have to rebuild my motor.
I bought a SC with what the owner said is a rod knock.
Th car runs like crap, however is i pull the spout plug it will Idle.
The reason I ask is I bought a stethiscope(?) and it sound like the knocking is coming from the upper part of the engine.
I have very limited automotive knowledge but I would like to fix this car of couse with the guidance of the experts on this board. Thanks

PS stocker on a different note I have a brother in Desmonies that drives a 90 XR-7

Last edited:
Well I am no expert but I am sure many others on the board will help.

First off the car is running so you are not 180 degrees off.
second how loud is the Knock you speak off does it go away or is it there all of the time. I had a engine that was knocking. The cause of this was a bad bearing on the crank. There is only one way to fix this pull the engine and put in a new bearing . I am not saying this is you prob I may be mis understadding you. Does the knock quickin and get louder when you press the excelerator( foot feed) .

Cool about your brother..

good old des moines IA. Were one of those backwards states. Compared to the rest of the nation . Around here more people drive chevys and or gm products than fords. Ford is deffinetly in the minority around here. As is coca cola the rest of the nation consumes more coke the pepsi. Not in Iowa pepsi out sells COKE 5 to 1 . Crazy huh.

Ok I would stop driving the car.

What the guy who sold you the car is saying is that . The bearings are worn. What will eventually happen is the bearing will wear enough that it will spin itself out and you will start busting pistons and you will need a whole new block. I am guessing it is more than likely the # 3 or 6 those tend to be the first that go. The car should not run like crap thogh it should run like normal with exception of the KNOCK you may also have other problems if it is missing. It is gonna have to be fixed or you will do more damage. these cars will continue to run untll you end up with a big piece of junk that is not even worth fixing. Now this person who sold you the car may have been talking about a push rob but that is doubtful rarley do they go bad if it is a pushrod the heads and intake will have to come off . there is no simple fix to your problem it is gonna cost alot . So much that you may just want to get rid of the car . You could save money by doing the work youself . But a person with a job it is hard to find time to even work on them Call your local ford store and get the part # and price for a rebuilt LONGBLOCK this will be your best option. Reads like your engine is plain worn out and needs to be replaced. GOOD LUCK.

Thanks

Yhanks for the info I think I do need to rebuil the entire block.
As for Time as I have said in all of my previous post I have as much time as I need so long as my wife lets me keep it.

Thanks

Back