Replacing accumulator. Little help?

91BLOWNSC

I was about to head out and change my accumulator to the one i recieved from prior remanufacturing. And I am wondering what is all entailed? From what I got so far, I shut the car off and pump the brakes until they are rock hard. Then just unscrew the accumulator. I dont' want anything shooting out at me.:( Will it just unscrew by hand? And Do i have to remove anything else to take it out? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

They can be on pretty tight. My factory unit had a Allen Head recess in the top and I was able to loosen it with 1/2 drive ratchet and an Allen bit, others have found the unit to tight and have stripped or broken the Allen and needed to use big channel lock plyers or oil filter wrenches etc.

My new unit I simply tightened with a crecent wrench on the base but I had my motor out at the time. I didn't go super tight, maybe half a grunt or so.

Don't force it!!!

(After you have depressurized the system) Carefully unscrew the old accumulator. Don't force it or the fitting may snap off the side of the pump assembly. It shouldn't be that tight but you never know. Once you have the old unit out, put it in a bucket or a coffee can, it will drain brake fluid for days. Lube the threads (and the new O-Ring that comes with the Prior Unit) with clean brake fluid and install the new unit. No need to wrench down on the new accumulator. Basically get it hand tight like you would an oil filter. After you install it, turn on the key and listen for the pump charging the system. It may run for a minute or so the first time (seems like forever). Fill the fluid reservoir as needed. No need to bleed the brakes.

hmm..

Cool deal, and I can do all of this without removing anything...correct? :confused: Hehe I hope so cause it looks like sort of a tight fit.

I didn't remove the cowl(have thin hands). And definetly use a ratchet drive allen bit. (nothing shot at me either, but a bit of fluid will leak out of the old one once removed, so you may want to be prepared for that.

You can remove the wipers and loosen the plastic cowling to get enough room to remove the accumulator. Just be sure to stuff paper towels underneath any small bolts as they have a tendency of falling and dissappearing. The bit size for the hex fitting is 12mm. If you use 7/16's, you'll strip it. The torque spec is 30lbs, but some have had success with just tightening it like an oil filter.

I have the Ford replacement part, so I just tightened it with a torque wrench. If you feel the need to do it better, Sears sells those stubby wrench heads, which you use a ratchet on, which are made for getting in tight places.

Back