ABS and Brake Lights , Low Fluid

BossCougar

The other night my wife got home and said " I know you don't want to hear this but...." anyway, the red brake light had come on while she was driving home and as she pulled into the driveway the brakes got rock hard and the ABS light also came on.
I took a look under the hood hoping for a loose connection and it turned out the fluid in the reservoir was low. I filled it back up and there was no change in the pedal feel or the lights, but I did notice a steady stream of fluid from the low pressure hose. I have the hose kit on order ( E8OY- 2C252- A ). The local dealer did a search and it was discontinued in April but they found a few dealerships with them still on the shelf to order it from.
The shop manual mentions that "the Fluid Level indicator provides a warning signal to the driver (using the red BRAKE lamp on the instrument panel) should the brake fluid level fall below minimum. further reduction in fluid level will cause the amber CHECK ANTILOCK BRAKE lamp to come on, and the vehicle anti-lock function to cease operation"
The question is, once I replace the hose and can keep the reservoir filled is there anything that needs to be done to reset the system. the lights didn't go out and the pedal didn't improve when the reservoir was filled briefly. I'm hoping that the lack of fluid didn't damage the pump.
Thanks in advance for any help.

So you have a hard pedal and both the brake light and the ABS light are on?

That means that you have no ABS function, and the ABS hydraulic pump is not able to provide boost. I would start with checking the relay for the ABS hydraulic pump and all the fuses. It is a brown relay mounted on the passenger side firewall. There are a couple relays back there but only one is brown. Take it off and clean it. Try tapping it to see if you can hear the hydraulic pump start humming. Also check the fuses.

yeah last time I went through brake problems with the car we replaced the relay with no change (further troubleshooting turned out with it being caused by the pressure switch). I suppose further troubleshooting will have to wait till the hose arrives and I can keep fluid in the reservoir since the manual shows the fluid level indicator as shutting the system down below a certain level of brake fluid.

The fuild level indicator will shut off the pump circuit if the level gets too low so it is not damaged. It should reset itself once level is restored to normal levels with no further action required... assuming the level switch does not stick. Your symptoms are the expected sequence of events for what you described. The hose split...your wife was driving and using the brakes...pressure in the system went down and the Pressure Switch called for the pump to be run but it was locked out (Red Light ON)...then pressure got so low (accumulator drained) you finally lost Power Assist. (AMBER LIGHT and RED Light ON)

Well then it should be good once the new hose gets here. And it losing power assist just as she got to the driveway is a very fortunate place since she was coming home during rush hour. It amazes me though that I have less difficulty getting parts for a 33 year old Cougar than a 13 year old Cougar.

Back