How REALLY good are you???

92redsc

ok lots of problems, 1. this is a new car to me and i need to know how to check the supercharger oil 2. my car hesitates and idles rough could this because of the 87 octane fuel that the seller guy "kindly" filled it up with? 3. the electronic antenna wont go all the way up or down 4. any good tips on changing spark plugs?
5. the car is only making 9 1/2 psi of boost, do you think its most likly the hoses that are loose? and is it only soposed to make 11 psi at redline? thanks guys

Hello, welcome, and congradulations on the purchase!

1. this is a new car to me and i need to know how to check the supercharger oil

Looking at the Supercharger from the front of engine bay, on the right front side you will find a small aluminum screw flush with the surrounding surface. The screw is most likely a 3/16" hex head. New steel bolts can be acquired from Ford; part # XL3Z-6A828-AA.

2. my car hesitates and idles rough could this because of the 87 octane fuel that the seller guy "kindly" filled it up with?

While there are many things that can cause similar behavior to this on the SC, in your case it is most likely related to question # 5.. a vacuum leak. Check your bypass (butterfly) valve, your upper and lower intercooler tube connection points, your intake hoses, and all other vac hoses for leaks. Soap & water can assist with this. Also, always use 93+ octane in the SC. Anything less can cause headgasket & piston head damage.

3. the electronic antenna wont go all the way up or down

It was common for these things to brake on all cars.. although less so on these because it is manually operated w/ a switch rather than auto w/ the stereo. Probably a plastic gear inside of a one piece motor assembly at the base of the antenna, and theres a good chance you will have to replace the entire thing. It is located within the fender well.

4. any good tips on changing spark plugs?

Use only Motorcraft or Autolite Double Platinum plugs. Some have also experienced positive results with iridiums. Also use a good set of wires, as the SC has a high voltage ignition system. Magnacores are popular for these cars. See this link for an excellent guide to changing your plugs: http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/sparkplugs/sparkplugs.htm

5. the car is only making 9 1/2 psi of boost, do you think its most likly the hoses that are loose? and is it only soposed to make 11 psi at redline? thanks guys

Again, this is most likely related to question # 2. If you have a vac leak, your guage will not read as much on either the boost or vac side. These cars avg around 12psi. I have had one that avgd 11 and my current pegs the gauge. It will ususally make full boost in 2nd or 3rd gear (5spd) at WOT. Autos will probably see full boost in first maybe second at WOT, after like 2k rpms.

I hope that at least gets you started.. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more!

Last edited:
92redsc said:
ok lots of problems, 1. this is a new car to me and i need to know how to check the supercharger oil 2. my car hesitates and idles rough could this because of the 87 octane fuel that the seller guy "kindly" filled it up with? 3. the electronic antenna wont go all the way up or down 4. any good tips on changing spark plugs?

1. There's a allen hex plug, located on the front-right side of the snout - that's the fill plug. If the oil looks dark, drain it out with a syphon pump. Fill it up to the bottom fill plug threading. Recommend maintenance specs are change every 100K, check every 60K.

2. 87 gas is poison to this car. This car requires Premium gas - AKA 93+ octane. That could be a cause of the rough idle, but I'm leaning more towards bad plugs and wires.

3. The antenna mast must be partially warped. Straighten it out as best as you can.

4. Changing plugs? Underneath, on the driverside - underneath on the back two plugs of the passengerside, and the front passengerside plug from up top, after removing the intake tube.

5. Check all the vacuum lines. You should be running 12-13 psi of boost, nominal. What are you running, at idle? Nominal idle is 20 VAC, give our take 1 VAC. The 87 octane might have an affect on this, too.

Umm....

I beleive that for the SC 91 is the minimum octane rating. Thats assuming your not modified with something such as a 10% OD pulley. Then I would recommend higher.

There aren't any 91 pumps, around here. Most of the stations here have 87 Regular, 89 Plus, and 93 Premium. There's also a rare 94 Super at Sunoco, for a few cents over 93.

91 is called for in the book, but I would stick to 93 for added insurance.

Last edited:
Plugs?

Since i don't think Ron is around anymore, a vintage explaination

Suggestion::
If you have lots of money and a reliable mechanic, let them do it. Ford charges approximately $300 to do the wires and plugs. THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS< THEY MUST THINK IM CRAZY; yeah thats what I thought.
Items needed; One full day with no interuptions 1 case of beer 1 bottle of scotch 1 dog to kick 1 good friend to negotiate with you and the swat team thats trying to get you out of the garage after your wife calls the police because your having an emotional break down. 1 list of tow truck phone numbers to tow your car to Ford if you wimp out. 1 box of bandaids 2 pints of blood on call at the emergency room, due to the SC is really a vampire and it will get your blood guaranteed. 1 3/8 inch vacum hose 1 good set of tools including 1/4 in. drive 1 floor jack 2 jack stands 1 creepy crawler 1 tube of anti seize goop 1 tube of dielectric grease 1 priest and the number to suicide hotline. 1 set of motorcraft double platinum plugs 1 set of wires of your choice Step 1 get a good nights sleep and have your parts ready before hand Step 2 get up early have a good breakfast. Now the fun begins MOTOR MUST BE COLD Open the hood, so far so good, and on the 94-95 SC you can actually see the two rear drivers side plugs, not so on earlier models due to the abs acumulator pump. on the 94-95 SCs you can change the 2 rear drivers side plugs from the top, no sweat. IMPORTANT REMOVE THE SPARK PLUG WIRES INTACT WITH CLIPS AND DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME. OK lets do the drivers side first, get the spark plug wires off and get the matching new wires and place them alongside the old ones and place the clips with looms on the new wires in the same place as the old ones and coat the new wire boots with dielectric grease. Gap the plugs. I recommend the gap at the closed tolerence due to they will eventually open up with wear even though they are platinum tipped and since you wont be doing them again for at least 60,000 miles. Now remove the 3 drivers side plugs 2 from the top of motor if 94-95 SC or if earlier model all three from the bottom after jacking up the front end and securely placing jack stands other the frame, you can also remove the front tires if you like, to have more room to move around underneath. You should have now pulled a groin muscle from yanking off the spark plug boots and scraped your arms and knuckles from removing the plugs.Yes I know your bleeding but the wounds are approximately 3 feet from your heart. You'll live. Replacing the plugs from the bottom is by feel, you cant see the spark plug holes. Make sure you coated the threads with anti seize goop and be carefull not to cross thread them. OK you now got the plugs in and its time to put the wires on already connected to the clips and looms as 1 complete set. What? you took them off one at a time. Oh well you can get them back one at a time in probably an hour cursing the intercooler tubes every 5 minutes and at least you can do the other side the easier way. What?, you already removed the other wires one by one from the other side, You poor stupid SOB get the tow truck number ready. Get out your shop manual and make sure you connect the plug wires to the correct connectors on the DIS. coil pack or what used to be the old type distributer, coating the boots with dielectric grease. So far its been 2 1/2 hours, your wife is pissed cause she tried to talk to you when your working and you yelled at her and dismissed her from the garage, you kicked the dog twice but dont worry dogs are great, they run away from you when they get kicked ,but all you got to say is here poochy poochy Im sorry and they will come back and you can kick them again. OK its time to break for lunch. OOPS what was I thinking, after yelling at your wife , do you really think she made you lunch? Fucget About It, WARNING do not try to eat the dogs food, he will bite you, since he aint all that happy about being kicked in the first place. OK your tired , bleeding and hungry, but you got one side completed. I hate to tell you that was the easy side. But, you have options you can still have the other side done by Ford and might only be charged $200 and get snickered at.Hell no you say, theres still a half a box of bandaids and some beer left. I got faith in you, but you might want to read the instructions on that torniquet thingy in the first aid box first. Now we come to the passenger side of the motor. Yes there are spark plugs there, its just that you cant see them. Start removing the air intake tube, the cover off the shock, disconnect wiring harnesses and move water lines and vacum hoses out of the way. SEE, I told you they were there and its my theory , if you can see the little buggers with enough extensions and universal joints, you can get to them. OK take the plug wires off that side as a complete unit with clips and looms attached. WHAT? You say you took them off one at a time too. I know here poochy poochy. Ok you got the plugs out, but thers no way to get your hand in there to put the new ones in. HARK, the piece of vacum hose. Place the top of the plug into the vacum hose and snake the plug down to the spark plug holes and you can get them started. Make sure not to cross thread them. Tighten them up the best way you can, I can reach through under the AC compressor and get the front 2 plugs. By now most of the skin should be off your fore arms and you really should wipe the blood off the motor and engine compartment before it drys. I know your almost out of beer, still hungry, not sure about supper and the dog has learned how to call the SPCA. Replace the spark plug wires, put the hoses and wire harnesses back, shock cover and intake tube and pray it starts. YAY you did it, you saved about $300 dollars, your wife is divorcing you and the SPCA is going to have you charged with cruelty to animals. Get in your car and leave now before the cops come. Wow it sounds and runs good, lets see what it will do. Hell Yeah its flying.WHAT? you ran through a speed trap. UH Oh remember all that beer you drank while working on the car. Lets See $80 in parts, $500 bond for DUI and speeding, no more wife or dog, still havent eaten. Oh well at least you wont have to do it for another 60,000 miles, maybe never if your wife gets the car in the divorce. Until next time be SCing You. Ron.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------

Get a new antenna + motor assembly off of ebay. 29.95, last time I checked. A new mast assembly without the motor (from Ford) is a little over 40 bucks. Unfortunately for me, I found out about the ebay thing AFTER I bought the mast assembly and installed it.

Thanks for everything!!! um havnt had a chance to do every thing (or any thing really). um here in amarillo texas we have 86, 88, and 90 octane :( . should i use octane booster? my idle vac is sitting on 15 and wot boost is at 9 1/2 psi. even with all this is SMOKED a 3.4l firebird. YAWN. um im also trying to fix my ride control front pass. side. i did the faq thing and it didnt work. guess ill take it to the shop. the shift knob is broken and the ford house said 91 bucks!!! anyone know where to get a cheaper one? thanks again

You're not going to really know, unless you go for it. We gave you all the info - the rest is up to you.

Patience, small hands, and the right tools will get the job done with ease.

For tools, I recommend a stubby ratchet, universal joint adapter, and a set of heavy duty rubber gloves, for the driverside underneath.

The passengerside, a regular size rachet, about 18" of extensions, and good instincts feeling your way around the motor.

Last edited:
shift knobs

okay, assuming this is a 5speed you can use any mustang shift knobs - there's a greyish one that you can get from ford for around 40 I think. If this is an aod or 5sp you can watch ebay and often new or good used shift knobs are on there for cheap.

Buck up and get the factory Ford knob, it is so much nicer to grip the smooth leather and the huge Ford Knob. The others just seem to small for my taste.

Back