How to on rebuilding an Alt. for higher output

klsoneSC

Can anyone explain how one would go about rebuilding a stock 110A alternator to put out more amps, like 130-140? I have heard this idea of rebuilding for higher output and was curious what all is involved. I have taken automotive electricity classes and know all about alternators mechanically, just curious if it is an easy project. I really need a higher output alt. for all my electrical demands. Any info would be great.

You would have to have the coils rewound using different diameter wire and use a different amount of turns wound into the coils. Any good alternator rebuild place can do the job.

I have heard of alternator rebuilding places but have yet to find one. Is it called simply and "Alternator rebuild shop"??? I assume it would be part of a larger shop doing other electrical work. How much do you think it would cost to have the shop do this, ~$50 bucks??? Is there a place I could send my Alt. ? So the higher Amps come from only having larger gauge wire correct? Thanks for the info!

the higher amps i believe will be caused by more COPPER being around the magnet. Im guessing if u make the MAGNET spin faster u get more juice right? am i right folkes? u might try to replace that Pulley and put in a smaller one to make it spin faster. just a thought. may sound stupid but it could work u know...

There is a guy here where I live that has a shop rebuilding staters and alternators(sort of a dying art) He can custom build anything. Problem is it costs as much as a new part and he does'nt do alot of buisness because of that. Theres just not alot of people wanting souped up starters and alternators.

The coils that are inside the alternator dictate how much power the alternator puts out, same applies to a starter motor. I dont know what gauge wire or how many turns are in an SC alternator but this is an example of what I'm talking about.

Lets say the stock alternator has 12 turns of 12 guage transformer wire wound into each coil.
To get more current out of it they may wind coils with 12 turns of 10 gauge wire and so forth and so on.

The same thing can be done with a starter motor. You can change the coils as outlined above and make the starter really spin the motor very easy.

Back