Should I keep my 90SC?

J

joenintiesc

I've been reading a lot of the info/advice on this board and it is impressive. I'm considereing two options - buy another car before my 90SC gets too expensive to keep up with (I kinda like the latest Grand Prix GTP's...) OR, take about half of what I'd spend on the next car and pump it back into my SC, which I'm rather fond of, and keep it going.

I'd really appreciate any advice/thoughts on:

-what should I be worrying about right now? HG blowing soon..., blower crapping out..., etc?
-What would be the best way to put $6-7K back into the bird?
the tranny slips a little when cold but seems to still have a reasonable amount of life left. if I were to redo the engine I probably wouldn't want to sacrifice too much on gas mileage or reliability - although a decent increase in hp/performance would be nice. This is my only vehicle which I drive everyday. Also, I am not an accomplished gearhead beyond the basics. I would always prefer to do any work on my car myself to save money and gain knowledge, but compared to most of the guys on this board I am a novice. I also don't have the tools or space to do much myself.
-Is 6-7K too little to reasonably expect to keep my TB running another ten years w/o major repairs? In ten years will this car be more valuable than it is today? (Collector appeal).
-Would I just pick a date and bring it someplace reliable (where is someplace reliable in NJ?), or wait for something major to go and then let that be the date...

Any thoughts, wisdom, advice, insults...??? Thanks!!

90sc, stock, 170,000 mi., owned 7 yrs.

Well, as a avid S.C. guy, I would keep her!!!! These cars are only going to get more valueable in future years. (had mine appraised, around $8,000 for my 91 and $14,000 for my 95 and going up!!!!).

As far as keeping her running, 170,000 miles is a good amount for any car never mind a car with a supercharger!!! I would just keep her running and keep changing the oil regularly (every 2,500-3,000 miles) and DON'T change the tranny fluid. Most of the time, when they start to go, the clutch material is in the pan. As far as cost, well an engine if built through a shop will cost a few bucks, but we can help you get that cost down. Tranny about $1000.00. Rest of car is easy. Blower should have no problems as long as fluid is kept up. (call me if you need to see how to do this).

If you want, call me at (973) 277-4294 anytime.

I can go over the finer points of any of this. Depending on where you live we have an S.C. member that's a mechanic so he can help.

Where do you live, available for our meetings???

Well, hope this helps and HAPPY S.C.'ING!!!!!!!

Don

Co-Founder of the New Jersey Thunderbird and Cougar Club (SCCOA of New Jersey)

DON'T GET RID OF IT!!! (please)

Whats up, I'm Bryan, co-founder of the SCCoNJ.
I think for alot less than $7,000, you can get your car going good. So... I'll have to agree with Don, you don't want to sell it. YOU WILL MISS THIS CAR! there is nothing quite like it.
I work for Ford and would be more than willing to atleast take a look/listen/drive of your car and tell you would you should sink your money into first. I am willing to help in the repair of ANY SC, but my free time is a little nonexistant. (Too many cars myself) But I will always do whatever I can for you guys! Call me whenever you want... (201-703-1864)

Bryan
(Co-Founder of NJTaCC (SCCoNJ)
-1990 SC 5 speed 144k miles w/original headgaskets!
-1994 SC 5 speed 93K miles w/375hp

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input! I live in Sayreville, NJ, so it's extremely valuable to have some contacts in NJ. One of my biggest concerns would be to figure out where to take my SC for the things I can't do myself. Of course, I'm leaning toward keeping the car, which is why I posted on these BBS's to begin with.

Anyone have any idea how much it would be to replace the Accumulator in the ABS system? I'm getting both brake warning lights whenever I brake a little hard, and I don't want to put to much stress on the Hydraulic Pump Motor.

Thanks, and I'll be sure to give you a ring, or you can send me club info at my e-mail: mcgeggy@yahoo.com.

Later,
Joe

Go to priorreman.com and get a reman. accumulator for $80 I think. I got a brand new one from fivestarford.com in AZ. Call, talk to Dan Newman, mention SCCOA and get a discount. Cost me $150 and I couldn't be happier.

Jason

Thanks Jason. I actually already ordered one from Prior directly and UPS will be delivering it tomorrow! (The way my ABS pump is cycling it will be just in time, too...)

By the way, I'm the guy you spoke to on Saturday regarding your parts car in Howell. Let me know if one day this week is good to swing by - I work in Freehold which is the next town up from Howell.

Thanks,

Joe

Get a new Grand Prix or fix the old car? Why not find a nice low mileage 94 or 95? You be killing 2 birds (no pun intended) with 1 stone. Bob

Back