CE light

Billabong089

I get a check engine light that comes on if, I accerlerate very hard in first then shift to second and continue to accerlerate, not casual driving, the Check engine light will come on and then go off very shortly... anything to worry about? I got a code reader but the check engine light goes off so I dont know if I would even get the problem... and my code reader is difficult to read or at least I'm confused how to read them... but what do you think it could be? No loss of power, nothing just a CEL, could it be o2 sensors? My gas mileage isn't great, 12-13mpg.

If I drive like regular it wont come on... :-/

Nothing to worry about.

That EEC will throw codes over any little thing. All that tork cold be wiggeling some sensors. I have a 4.6 that will throw a code during start up it shakes the dpfe sensor so the cel goes on when there is nothing wrong. If it was to stay on all the time then it is something to worry about. What is up with your gas mileage that is BAD BAD BAD. Do you know what the prob is. you should be getting more like 22 city 28 highway.

haha really? well its more like 14mpg... but yea its not too good, I keep meaning to buy fuel injector cleaner... damn fuel system costs me all my money then the car breaks and I need to work 40hours to afford teh damn thing ;) but i love the car, I could never sell my baby unless the engine blew or something.

my mileage is better than my bro's stang 5.0, he gets like 7mpg hahaha its so sad... he puts like $5 a day lol

Alright lets change this subject to, how to improve my gas mileage lol.. any ideas? I'm 17, so that would explain the way i drive lol... but even still it should be better right?

Last edited:
Yeah really.

That is the whole puprose of fuel injection to meter the the amount of gas you are using. Carb well use more than needed. You need to invest in a better code reader when you get a chance one of the kind you can monitor your engine as you drive around. This kind of code reader will give you a code every time the eec throws one. Like in your case . Check out Ebay motors diagnostic tools . I use an OTC 2000 works great they can be picked up realatively cheap on Ebay. You can also do a cylinder balance test which is a nice feature. I don't know how I ever got by without one before. Those flash and beep ones SUCK. A serious dude has the real deal believe me when I say it is impresive. I have alot more friends now cause they always want to use it. In you case you would want to get the 92 3 in 1 cartridge.

wanna be my friend? HAHA jk ;) But thanks I'll look into the flash and beep do suck and it flashes so much I'm like f---- it and I'm like its running so its good hahaha...

I love ebay, just got a nice chrome fire extingisher... ( yea I got faith my electrical jobs hahahahah ) :)

Theres four on ebay, pretty cheap.. how much are they new annnnnd are they digital? so I dont have to count lights and beeps and whatever.

Last edited:
you pay for gas lodging and beer I am there.

If you think codes are a joke. You won't after you use one of these. I have used it on all kinds of cars. It has never been wrong. Hits the problem everytime. Easy to use alphanumeric display. Those flash and beep things are crazy 1/2 the time they are wrong. Good Luck.

12- 13mpg??? Is this highway milage, or 'stop and go' milage? Are you on the boost a lot? Change the plugs, recently? How old are the o2 sensors? What weight/viscosity oil do you use? DO YOU HAVE STOCK GEARS?

Need more info, dude.:confused:

Last edited:
stop and go ( I live the by the shore, so we get a lot of summer traffic) , stock gears, boost 85% of the time ;) and 10w30 oil, changed like 1.5months ago ...
Plugs I havent touched since I bought the car, they could well I dunno but they could be very old, Bought the car in Dec of 2002 and the same deal with the o2 sensors...

The rest of the upgrades on my car is listed below...

Last edited:
stock exhaust+ boost 85% of time= blown HG and low mpg , try driving on vaccum most of the time and keep boost for when you need it

Dual 2.5 piping, Flowmasters, no res, stock Cats though.... so no not stock exhaust and the previous owner did the whole bottom end ( oil pump, bearings ,etc ) and head gaskets ;)

Plus if it wasnt for the boost, why would I drive? :-D :-D I just like to accerelarate fast and then I cruise...

Billabong089 said:
Dual 2.5 piping, Flowmasters, no res, stock Cats though.... so no not stock exhaust and the previous owner did the whole bottom end ( oil pump, bearings ,etc ) and head gaskets ;)

Plus if it wasnt for the boost, why would I drive? :-D :-D I just like to accerelarate fast and then I cruise...

Well, your driving habits explain the poor milage. With the CHECK ENGINE light, you may have bad o2 sensors. Once you change those, you're better off doing a whole tuneup. Who knows, maybe you'll gain an mpg or two, afterwards.:confused: :confused:

Back