clueless

89coupe

my car is idling between 1k and about 1300 rpms and it seems to be running reall rich. After driving it for a little while she starts backfiring and dies. I let it sit for a sec and she fires right back up. Its got a new IAC, i swapped MAFs with a friend, new plugs new wires, swapped the DIS mod, its got a new coolant temp sensor, and its not giving any codes. And every once in a while the tac doesn't work. Any ideas?

Loss of tach signal is usually the Cam sensor.

Although I had a similar prob with the DIS/Cam Sensor/Coil Pak harness. You can try cleaning and reseating the connectors on that harness.

Lee

I am definitely no expert, but...

for what it's worth could it be a vacuum leak? You say you are running rich, which could result from air that is being metered at the MAF leaking out - I would think this would cause a rich condition. Your symptoms do sound a little severe (backfiring) for just a vacuum leak, but maybe... I also know that when I had a large vacuum leak (didn't seal my bottom intercooler tube) my engine would start, zip up to 3k rpms and then immediately fall to zero and die.

Again, there is a good chance I am completely wrong about this but hopefully someone will step in and correct me...

I think it was a combination of different things wrong with my car, but a few people have said it could be a vacuum leak causing the idle so im gonna start checking tommorrow... Any good ideas for going about this?

check the faq forum for a detailed version...

or do a search on "vacuum leaks" or some such. Probably if the car isn't able to really sit there and idle the first thing to do is to visually check all the vital vacuum connections like the upper/lower intercooler tubes, make sure they are bolted tight and sealed. Also the sc top, the vacuum tree near the firewall, and the pcv valve coming out of the back of the passenger side head. If it were a vacuum leak I would assume it would be pretty obvious to be causing these problems. You should also check your vacuum gauge in the car while it is idling and see if it is reading 20 in. Hg or lower, like it should be. If you are getting 20-21 vacuum then I would assume it would be something else.

fuel pump mine acted rich when fuel pump was going bad it would stall at stop signs then restart finally i tried it and that was it , happened to me on a few different cars at the shop, mine never backfired though you may have an ignition problem

Last edited:
Back