headers - step 2 - assy (*pics)

tbird88

Figured it would be the most difficult...so I started with the driverside. My priorities were to miss the lower IC tube, oil dipstick, motor mount, brake distribution block, and steering shaft. To be sure the engine/tranny were located properly, I substituted the busted hydraulics with a section of 2" pipe. The height on each one was set at 3" and then everything was bolted in place. A spare lower IC tube was installed also.

I started with #6, first pic is kinda deceiving because it's not as close to the wiring box on the shock tower as it seems because the box was hangin' loose. It actually has about 1/2-3/4" clearance on the box.

Tube #4 sneaks through the loop of #5 with about 1/8" clearance, dipstick needs to be stressed slightly towards the block to keep from touching it. The bracket was broken loose from the dipstick, I tacked it back on but ain't sure it's perfect but like I said a little bending/nudging and the tube should be good to go.

#5 was tricky, wound up with a 180 and then a twisted 90 down to the collector. Came up about 2" short, only 8 J-bends to work with, so I had to add a stub to reach the collector with this tube. It still needs just a bit of adjustment, the 90 is a little too close to the joint on the steering shaft, ain't quite figured out the perfect way to do it yet. Physically, the 90 section of the tube is 1" away from the flex material of the joint itself but the 180 is rolled to the max so I'm kinda stuck on getting #5 perfect. 1" clearance on the flex matl. might be as good as it gets.

All joints are square & true,

'bird

3/8" water-cut flanges
1-3/4" mandrel J-bends
3" collector

drside5836.jpg

It's not pretty, just loosely tacked together for now.
drside5886.jpg

Have you thought about making the primaries longer??..Im not in the market but just curious..Also because of how the motor sits in the 92 and under SC's as compared to the 93 and up there can be steering shaft and floorboard clearence issues..Just something to look ijnto..Perhaps a desighn that fits both easily would be great:O)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Mike8675309
very cool. Now what are you going to do when you get 200 orders for those?;)
Born yesterday but not last night, plan is already in stage 2. There is a one-way Greyhound ticket to Texas hidden in your sweetheart's purse with your name on it, not sure why she was so helpful in instrumenting this plan but...thankya darlin', he'll be in good hands!

Don't forget your gloves and earplugs, see ya in the mornin' :)

'bird

Originally posted by Damon Slowpoke Baumann
A>> Have you thought about making the primaries longer??..Im not in the market but just curious..
B>> Also because of how the motor sits in the 92 and under SC's as compared to the 93 and up there can be steering shaft and floorboard clearence issues..Just something to look ijnto..Perhaps a desighn that fits both easily would be great:O)
A>> I haven't read every last tech article by Burns and the rest on the 'net nor have I even began to research the tons of info available off-net ie: BOOKS (you kids remember those?). I'm a pipefighter, er, pipefitter by trade so I've dabbled in volumetric efficiency/wall-drag/gas expansion/contraction but I (of course) do not know the books by heart. Wish I did but in all seriousness I never will, I just wanted a set of headers for my car so I simply went with it. Next time around, I'll order more J-bends and then build the longtubes from Hades.

B>> Asked about that difference in my first thread, nuthin' concrete was offered by anyone. This particular set is for my '91 automatic (Carla) and being that there were so many more 89-92's built than 93-95's it was a good one to produce just in case I got requests for a set. IF there is interest in these then great...if not, then at least I have (what I think is) a killer set of headers for my particular car.
For everyone else, there's always the possibilty that they can send me their driverside shorty (MAC/JBA/etc) for modding on the collector. If I spot a set at the next swapmeet I'll try to grab 'em and show the results.

Thanks for checkin' out what I've done so far, your (and others) opinions are valued more than you might think.

'bird

What kind of wood??

Hollywood!

Man that's some progress from Wednesday. You oughta be able to knock out a dozen sets a day.

Jeff

Too bad you didn't start this a month earlier.

I would've loaned you my Bill Hull shorties. :rolleyes:

It's lookin' good. ;)

Lee

Originally posted by Mike8675309
Hmmm, bolted this up yet?
What'd you do with that bus ticket?

Driver side fits like a glove. Compared to it, the passenger side should be a walk in the park. And...if I don't get that 94/95 downtube back from a certain SC'r in Ypsilanti, Michigan then I'll probably put the headers on my '94 5spd.
Headers, 3x2-1/2 reducers, my custom resonator (dual 2-1/2 in - single 3 out), 3 until it splits right after the fuel tank, 2-1/4 split to each 40-series Flowmaster. Betcha it's gonna sound pukey but won't know until I do it huh?

Hey, I'm down to shotpeening/putting studs in 2 pairs of manifolds, porting another pair, doin' 2 raised tops, and one double IC (maybe 2 doubles if that tirekicker gets off his butt and decides to go with my version of a front mount).

Looky here >>>
gettin' too big for my britches

Anyhooz...gotta git back to work, you missed some killer grilled burgers w/Swiss & American cheese on grilled buns.

'bird

ps: I took a break the other day and cut open an early fuel tank. Got some kinda cool cutaway pics, they show how the pump assy fits in the sump. Anybody need a couple of cheap used stock fuel pumps?

'bird' - don't forget you can replace the cushioned stock steering joint with one of those straight universals and save atleast an inch clearance. I think they are called 'flame river' or something. They have them in Summit & Harbor Freight's catalogs.

Back