Woodward AVE.

1BADSC

Maybe we should get a Group of SCer's to attend the Woodward AVE car cruise. One of the biggest shows in America. Has anyone ever attended?

I was there a couple years ago. It is big, the cruise actually goes through several towns.

The problems with getting a group of SC's together is that cars made after about 1975 are STRONGLY discouraged from being involved. There are some displays of newer cars by the car manufacturers and some vendors, but to actually drive a newer car on Woodward....it ranges from dirty looks to, in some places, the cops preventing you from driving on Woodward. The best we could really do is pick a place to meet just off Woodward (that means VERY early for a large group since parking gets taken up quick by all the other spectators) and walk over to watch.

Anyway, this years is already past, it happened on the weekend of the big blackout.

I was watching some coverage of it this year and there were a ton of Ricers parked right next to the classics. Maybe things have changed.

This year was different. Due to the power outage the cruise was sort of unofficially cancelled.

There is a weeklong buildup, people actually begin "cruising" the week before and keep going for a few days after Saturday. There would be major trouble if they called it off the day before. So it was still permitted, they just discouraged everyone from going. No one was sure if there was going to be power through most of those cities during the cruise, that meant no traffic signals, no open restaraunts of other vendors, probably most important very few open gas stations. I think power was restored just before the cruise began, however the number of participants was down by about half from last year.

The ricers were probably tolerated since preparations were made for twice as many classics as actually showed. Also it could be the area they were in. As I said it ranges from dirty looks to police barracades depending on the city, I imagine they were in a dirty looks area.

Like I said it could be done, but it would be better to try and find a spot just off woodward.

well I should clarify when i say rice. It was domestic short haired rice. Caveliers, and Saturns, Focuses, I don't think a lot of people in Michigan take to kindly to foreign cars. Hell, our company had a Toyota truck that we took up to a power plant up there and people demolisehed it, kicked big dents all over it, keyed it to death, broke lights and windows. I thought it was pretty funny, but those union workers don't like the Forigen stuff.

Back