check engine light help please

GREATWHITE666

I really hate this light, i hate looking at it. Someone please tell me why it comes on. The ONLY "known" problem with my car is that it doesnt always start on the first try, it just clicks, it eventually goes after a few tries, I get no upshift light when i do this also. most all of the parts on my car are fairly new, the engine only has about 25K on it. i get the check engine light every now and then, but then it goes off after a few min. one time i got it on the highway all the way home. got home, turned off car, then started it again and no light... car runs excellent, never really had a problem. any ideas? thanks for any info!
-damon

Last time I had the same problem it was the cam sensor but this light can come on for just about any sensor. Cam sensor is about $30.00 from any parts store. I would have the codes checked but when my cam sensor went out it did not throw any codes.
I hope you find the problem. At least with the light on it should not be to hard to figure out. Good luck

check engine light

i had similar things happen i got a FORD computer reader from WAL MART it cost about $19 it helped me figure out a varity of problems relating to sensors and stuff

i was able to find broken wires going to sensors that showed up as bad but it was just a bad connection or broken wire.

hm

guess maybe ill have to get one of those, an update now, ive noticed that the light seems to go on after driving on the highway for about 10-20 min... im not sure if it's just when the car has been on for a while or not, i just happen to be on the highway going to school when it comes on. i sometimes have problems starting up when the car is hot, it just clicks when i turn the key, but after a few tries, it goes.. maybe related i dont know..
-damon

Damon,

My car made that same clicking noise and wouldnt start until a couple times, especially when it is hot. Its your starter solenoid/relay. Its the little black round box looking thing with cables attached to it, mounted on your left fender right beside the battery and high current fuse box. Its an easy fix and part costs around $15 from autozone or pep boys.

My engine light also comes on on the highway sometimes, stays on for a few minutes and then goes out. Not really sure why and everything seems to be working. I do have a manual fan switch in there and my IAC is unplugged all the time, which could be the problem, but then shouldnt i get a check engine light all the time?? Havent checked for codes so maybe thats what I should do.

Had the exact same problem. It was the cam position sensor.
i disconnect it once and when i out it back on i somehow bent
one of the prongs on the sensor.

i just bent it back into place with small pliers.
engine started right up.

check engine light

the 'clicking' when you try to start sometimes is most like the starter relay, right by the battery. It's a classic Ford symptom and it's cheap and easy to replace. This has absolutely nothing to do with your check engine light though, and when my cam sensor went out it didnt turn the light on. i guess it could though. you need to either get a code reader and run the codes yourself or take it to a good shop that has the diagnostic equipment. One caution , if you do it yourself it's not as cut and dried as many people think. for example if the code is for Mass Air Flow, that does NOT mean the sensor is bad necessarily, could be a relay or a loose connection someplace in the system. so don't go throwing parts at it till you check everything related.
Good luck

too many things haha

ok well let me ask this, the times when i try to start it and it just clicks and then starts, does this get stored into the car's computer or something? so like the car is telling me, "there's something wrong with me, that's why im not starting, but when i do start, im gonna light up your favorite light so you know there is a little something wrong"... guess the code reader is the only sure way to go. is it easy to do yourself if you buy one? and where can u get them.. anywhere? thanks for all the info guys, any more thoughts, post em for me.
-damon

No something like that would not be stored. As for the code reader they can be dificult to use. The one I have is just a light and a beep. You count the flashes or beeps but it can drive you nuts. you must read the manual to understand the diffent typs of codes. Good luck, Mark J.

ok

well im gonna start with replacing that solenoid... selenoid, whatever it is thingie,, and if that's no good, im gonna go witht he code reader. thanks everyone!
-damon

alright

ok ran codes,, with engine off,, it gave me 111, which book says, system's pass,, but then it gave me the 214 , CID circuit failure right after that? ive noticed so many people get that, ran it with engine on also, no problems there. CE light still came on and went off randomly while driving to buy the code reader... what do i do about this 214 code? just read in another post that this relates to cam sensor so i guess ill be replacing that,, can someone show me where it is? a picture would be great if someone has one, thanks a lot.
-damon

Last edited:
. . . .

can anyone help a little,,? im doing this tomorrow morning, need any info i can get on replacing the cam sensor... thanks
-damon

Back