Share your experience w/ tires (stock)

Digitalchaos

A screw found its way to my right rear drive tire today, and put a nice 1/3" hole all the way through. Therefore, it is time for replacement. Currently my vehicle has the same tire type as the originals, the Goodyear Eagles.

Please share your experience with various tire brands & types on stock rims, in rain, on dry road, handling, ride quality, treadwear, ect. And what have you found the best place to buy them to be?

Also, being that the orig. tires are an old design, are there all season tires today which equal or exceed their performance?

Thanks everyone!

I have used Cooper Cobra GTZ's 245-50-16's, then Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's 245-50-16, and then Kelley Springfield Charger ZR Directional 245-50-16.

The Coopers were much much wider than the other tires even though there "size" is listed as the same. They wore pretty well.

The Kuhmos were the smallest tire that looked more like the factory size. They hooked nicely and wore the best.

The Kelley Charger ZR's are the same tire as a Goodyear Eagle GSC, (Goodyear makes Kelley Tires). The Kelley's were just about as wide as the Coopers. They hook very well, and I am not sure about how they wear, because I sold the car.

For looks it goes, Cooper, Kelley, then Kuhmos.

All of these were on the stock rims. The Coopers were 186 per tire. The Kuhmos I got from www.tirerack.com for 67 bucks per tire. The Kelley's were around 130.

When I got mine back in 2000 it had Crapyear Eagle II in the stock size. Horrid tire then and never got better. Only good thing was the wear on them. Great in the wet and dry. Several month ago I put Nitto NT-450 in 245/50-16 and love them. The 450 is their all-season tire. Was right at $100 shipped and I had them mounted locally, as no one here sold Nitto's. I got them fromDiscount Tires . I also was looking at either the Bridgestone Potenza RE750 or RE950, I really don't remember which, on tirerack.com they both have great reviews but for me little too price 125ish from them plus to mount ect. Local dealer wanted almost $900 for stock 225/60-16.

I've used Toyo FZ4's on my SC and Kumho Escta Supra 712's.

The Kumho's wear very well. Both are pretty good handling tires although they do slide a bit in rain. The Kumho's hook a lot better than the FZ4's.

For the money, I'd take a set of the 712's over the FZ4's anyday. I got my Kumho's (255/50/16's) for $110CDN(wholesale deal) each which was $200 less than the FZ4's ($309EA retail)

It'll vary depending on how and where you drive.

The best overall I've used was the BFG TA 245/50/16 V rated.

Good handling wet and dry, good mileage and confortable ride.

Lee

Back