no brakes, won't idle, rock hard pedal.

bigcletus94

My SC has had a squishy brake pedal for a couple of days now. Was about to drive over to my girlfriend's house until I tried to start my bucket. After I started the hunk of chit I knew I wasn't going anywhere. It started idling like crap and I could hear this loud air leak sound like a vacuum leak. So I popped the hood and noticed my hood prop strut on the driver side had come off from the strut tower and it must have punctured a vacuum hose or something near the brake booster because I have no brakes and the break pedal is rock hard now. I inspected the area where it might have punctured something but found nothing ( it was too dark out). Does this make sense? Or could my break booster just have taken a crap on me? It is making a real loud air swooshing sound somewhere in that area but I could not pin point it. I am leaving the doors unlocked tonight. Someone please steel my car.

hmm dude.. seems like you might have a VACUUM LEAK. My pedal was rock hard because of my BAD IAC. basically it was idling high and creating little VACUUM and it wouldnt break good. You must really have a bad VAC leak. If possible pull some codes from the computer see if any sensors are messed up. Most likely sounds like something i had and it is a LEAK. Its either that or your IAC sensor just went down the drain. later.

ohh well mines is .. cuz i yanked out the old ABS brake system. got me a nice brake booster. Brakes even better. Also check the relays and the ACCUMULATOR on ur ABS thingy. Try to pull up the codes. And find the leak.

Well, no one stole my car last night unfortunatly so I was forced to fix it today. Took five minutes in the day light to determine that a plastic tube had come disconnected from the firewall area. Had to remove my wipers and top covers to loosen the 10mm bolt that holds the vacuum connector to it. Then I was able to plug the tube back in and it works fine now I think, haven't driven today. I think the body shop is to blame because they had to have taken my hood off and they didn't reinstall the hood strut clips that go on the bottom of them. I hope I can still get these clips from Ford or maybe a wrecking yard...I dont want my hood falling on me and killing me the next time I have to open it when it breaks down again. Thanks for the responses.

Back