Cam Install/hamonic balancer removal?

lowflying90

What do I need to do to install a cam? Remove the harmonic balancer? Do I need a special Tool for this? Do I remove the waterpump?

I have the accessory brackets and heads off of my car right now.

Thanks,
Jeff

haha, no i anticipate finally receiving it any day now, and want to get it installed asap with as little time wasting as possible. i need to find out exactly what i need to do to get it installed and what tools i need.

Jeff

This is what Alldata says. Seems like an awful lot. Maybe someone has some shortcuts. Certainly the front cover will need to come off.

Drain cooling system and remove radiator and grille.
On engines equipped with air conditioning, purge refrigerant from system and remove condenser.
On all engines, remove front cover, timing chain and sprockets.
Remove intake manifold.
Remove pushrods, lifters and oil pan.
Remove thrust plate, then carefully remove camshaft by pulling toward front of engine, Fig. 9. Use care to avoid damaging camshaft bearings.
Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
Lubricate cam lobes and bearing surfaces with Oil Conditioner D9AZ-19579-CA or equivalent.
Tighten to specifications.

Well that pretty much is the shortcut. Sorry but that job on this car is pretty tough.
Good luck.:)

Maybe Fred could give you some pointers. He could probably do it in his sleep.

do i need to remove the harmonic balancer? just the pulley? or what to get the timing cover off? do i just leave the water pump connected to the timing cover?

I could pull the motor if i buy a lift to get it out with. I only have the tranny bolts and the motor mount bolts and i could pull the block. dont' really wanna spend $200 on a motor hoist though.

i already have the heads off, the pushrods out, the radiator out.

Jeff

Attachments

• mvc-005f.jpg
    mvc-005f.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 166
you'll need to pull the Crankshaft harmonic balancer (might as well shop for a new one now, unless it is very new, they are basically single use devices). The water pump can stay on the cover.

You can rent a engine hoist, or purchase one for under $150. Though an equalizer bar is awful nice which brings it to $200.

But the engine shouldn't need to come out, just that front cover.

Mike is right plus you will have to remove the cam sensor drive and maybe if youre carefull you can just move the AC condenser out of the way enough to get the cam out.
Be real carefull pulling it out and installing it. Its real easy to gouge the cam bearings so take your time and be carefull.

a harmonic balancer/steering wheel puller will work fine. Just make sure it comes with metric bolts.

that means my BHJ is a piece of **** if i remove it :S so good for 300 dollars. damn i hate this car as much as i love it

Just calm down, turbospeed! The stock damper with the aluminum hub does not respond well to being taken on and off. The BHJ piece has a steel hub and does not have the same issues as the stocker. It should be honed to fit your crank but can be carefully removed and properly installed many times.

See the BHJ installation post in the FAQ forum for more information.

thanks rob :D that made me feel a lot better, ..btw what kind of performance etc can you expect froma cam? ....im putting the gas can and the matches down,,,,,,

Back