temps varying

neverfastenough

awhile ago i notice that the temps where changing depeding on speed and it ran farily hot so i checked all the fluids and and the searched the forum and i read something about the fin under the front bumper can effect the temps and i remembered that it fell off a long time ago so i bought a new one and and it helped a little but he temps arent consistent still it will go up and then some times its down any help would be greatly appreciated.

Corey.

What temps are you running? My temperature ranges from about 220 degrees to about 240 depending on my driving and the temperature outside. If you drive the car hard, expect it to spike and then drop down to a reasonable level.

its not runing hot anymore but really my question is it sposed to vary like that our newer cars dont vary they get to one temp and stay there

tough fix, but...

I just got done fixing my varying (mostly too hot) temps in my car. The procedure?

Flush coolant, replace with 50-50 h2o/coolant mix. Add water wetter.

Check elec. fan operation and see if air dam has fallen off.

Replace rad. cap and tstat - stock temp'ed tstat should work if all coolant components are working properly.

Check with ohm meter and replace if necessary 1. temp sender for the computer (on top of intake) and 2. temp sender for the dash gauge (by tstat).

Replace hoses (most importantly the two connected to the radiator - make sure the bottom one contains a spring inside of it).

Replace water pump - may not be necessary but not a bad idea for the cost.

Replace radiator.

After doing all of this (~$400) my car runs cooler than most new cars I've watched run. I didn't use a stock temp tstat but plan to go back to one as my temperature almost never gets past the n in norm(this car is driven city/hiway in 80-100 deg. weather). You might also find that as you go through replacing all of these that at some point in the middle your problem is fixed, however, I had to replace the radiator at the end to fix the problem completely. Now I have no temp. variation and the const. temp is fairly cool.
Don't know if there are other things that might affect it but this worked out great for me.

Brian

mine will go up to around halfway on a hot day before fan kicks on at 228 the more power i get the quicker the guage goes up thats for sure but it never goes over halfway on a hill or anywhere i like using a 180 thermostat helps

interesting

It's so weird how these cars all have a mind of their own. Ive read so many posts about temp for SC's and there have been people who have done every thing possible to get it run cooler... even a brand new griffin radiator... and the car some how still gets hot! just gotta hope for the best i guess, im getting ready to put in a lower t stat and flush radiator myself, good thing fall is coming anyway, cooler temps!
-damon

I was suprised when I put in an autometer and my temp is 230!!!! Stock gauge was reading 'M'. It has a new radiator and coolant looks OK. Just want to verify that some cars are running this warm. It runs great though......

yup

yup mine runs great and gets warm real quick, if it';s not too hot i just unplug the AC and put the windows down, and whenever car gets to where I feel it's too hot, i put on the max ac so just the fan comes on..
-damon

Back