Crankshaft Damper/bolt broken - need prof. help

jsspss21

Not sure whether I should be looking for a mechanic or a shrink...anyone know a good one (mechanic) in Memphis? My crankshaftbolt/harmonic balancer broke. I've tried the bolt extractor - the extractor broke off in the bolt. I have not yet tried to pull the remainder of the balancer out yet. That's some pretty thin margins to drill #8 screws into and I don't want to mess up the crankshaft...hence, my search for someone that can help.

Last edited:
mine broke the other day im gonna try welding a bead on the end of the broken bolt so i can grab it with vise grips also the heat will melt the loctite i used on the threads

another interesting observation

I just realized something else interesting. There are about 1/2 inch of threads exposed inside the crankshaft. So, did this thing get twisted (broken) upon installation? After reading most of the posts about this, I was expecting to see it sheered off flush with the end of the crank. How long is the bolt supposed to be? Also, I found only a couple of posts that mentioned how to keep from turning the crankshaft while removing/installing the bolt. Here's one: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28152&highlight=harmonic+balancer .

im excited now mine came right out with 1/8 inch drill bit and an easy out , it wasnt even tight took about 10 min

Back