Air/Fuel gauge installation

Brandon

I am about to install 2 Autometer Air/Fuel gauges in my '93. I am going to tap into the wires after the O2 sensor. What I need to know is which wire on the O2 sensor is the signal wire? There is 2 white, 1 gray, and 1 black. I heard it's the black one, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

If you can get your money back, GET IT! Those A/F gages are garbage. They look pretty cool though, but the ONLY thing they are good for is to tell you when u are in closed loop and to tell you when your O2 sensors are going south. I'd rather get an EGT sensor, and a tranny or coolant temperature sensor....both more informative than the sucky A/F. If you MUST know if your car is running lean, take it to a dyno shop and have them plug in a wideband O2 sensor.

Alex

I know they are not the best gauges to have, but I think they're cool. I also have a boost gauge and I'm getting a water temp or oil pressure gauge, so I have some useful gauges too.

al35thsc said:
If you can get your money back, GET IT! Those A/F gages are garbage. They look pretty cool though, but the ONLY thing they are good for is to tell you when u are in closed loop and to tell you when your O2 sensors are going south. I'd rather get an EGT sensor, and a tranny or coolant temperature sensor....both more informative than the sucky A/F. If you MUST know if your car is running lean, take it to a dyno shop and have them plug in a wideband O2 sensor.

Alex

yea on my 89 it was the black wire on the 02 sensor, i just use a volt meter it works good above .5 volts is rich below .5 volts is lean , mine goes in to open loop around 4 pounds of boost

Last edited:
Yours has 4 wires, right? I would use a voltmeter, but my car isn't running right now.

rlong said:
yea on my 89 it was the black wire on the 02 i just use a volt meter it works good

mine only has 3 wires no gray wire but i still think you use the black one with the 4 wire sensor, the other wires are for the built in heater to warm up the sensor

The signal wire is after the connector in the o2 sensors. I beleive the passenger side is tan and orange and I'm not sure about the drivers side.

Yeah, I got them tapped in. The one was tan/orange and the other was tan/red I think.

BlueThunder90 said:
The signal wire is after the connector in the o2 sensors. I beleive the passenger side is tan and orange and I'm not sure about the drivers side.

I would tap it at the computer. Pins 29 & 43 on '89 & '90. No need to go to the engine compartment

Back