Supercharger polishing

charged92

Does anyone have experience polishing the SC, plenem, IC tubes etc? Maybe some helpful hints. I'm not afraid to take my time and work at it even if it takes a while. Would it be smart to rebuild it before or after polishing or does it matter? The way I see it is if I'm pulling the motor and cleaning it up and the engine bay I might as well put polished parts back on. I have the spare one to get started on. I figure It will be the one I use and I'll keep the one thats on the car for a spare. Steve any word on your services yet? Maybe this is a dumb question but I am going to be after a double intercooler and is there a way to use my stock IC tube with one?( I don't want to polish it and not use it.)

Dean,

Off the top of my head, I know you can direct your inquiries to Jason Wild, and Ryan Harris. Both of these guys have done custom polishing. I'm sure there are others too!

Running a double intercooler (made from two stock cores) does not require custom IC tubes, so you should be OK there.

It sounds like you've got quite the project planned. That's great! I love seeing new and interesting things done to these cars.

Best regards,

Sean

P.S. I can't believe how much your '92 looks identical to my '90.

Thanks Sean. I am sure Jason and Ryan will read my post in the next day or two. Thanks for the info on the IC tubes. I'm hoping to have a double IC made from two stock ones when I get to that point. Yes I am in the planning stages of a major project. With the help of the guys on here and my mechanic I hope to emerge with a pretty cool SC when I'm finished. I'm hoping it won't take too long but I'm planning on a year or so if all goes well. Unfortunately things like mortgages and food for my kids have to be taken care of first.LOL! BTW you obviously have great taste in cars!LOL!!

As Sean stated you can use your stock pipes for a double intercooler.The double intercooler uses the stock location and mounts to the stock pipes!

Dean,
As Sean was saying I have done some polishing and let me tell you no fun and takes a lot of time. I have spent about 5 hours just on the upper I/C tub. I'm not sure what kind of luck Ryan has had. The best way I can see to do this is get chrome powder coat and go that way much faster. I can post a pic of the upper tub later.

I have polished a upper tube and it will take you probably around 20- 30 hours to do if you want to get the letters done as well.

Steve,
Is that how much you have just in the one tube?
my 5 hours was a vary low guess I would say more 8 or so and I thought that was a lot but nothing to your amount of time you have in.

the coating on the ic tubes and sc is extremely hard to remove.

However for anyone wshing to try poslishing these items I suggest you find someone with a media tumbler. That way you can get 95% of the work done without breaking a sweat and still probably not be too unafordable.

the coating on the plenums, tubes and charger are simple to remove, all you need to do is travel to a UAP, and pick up some industrial strength aircraft paint remover, sit the tube in the sun and paint this stuff on, leave for 15 mins, come back with the hose and it just falls off in strips

sabby,
I like your way of doing it I'm going to look in to that and maybe I will polish all the parts after all. now will that not look cool.:cool:

92strokedbird said:
I have polished a upper tube and it will take you probably around 20- 30 hours to do if you want to get the letters done as well.

Do you by chance have a pic?:D

Back