Hesitation from applying the gas.

91BLOWNSC

Any idea's on what this could be? It seems after I come to a stoplight and apply the gas even semi-quick, the engine's rpms fall, and then rise again. It sorta makes the sound like its "gulping" for air and then it takes off. Any ideas?

I'm battling the same thing right now with my SC. Tell me, does yours do that only when it is on the warm side of normal? Basically mine's doing when the car reaches operating temp and it gets worse the warmer the car gets. Based upon some other observations I'm thinking that it is my torque converter. My car almost sounds as if something is trying to stop the engine from rotating. Is this what is going on with your car?

I'm also having a shifting issue with mine. It shifts into 3rd too soon under light acceleration and when I "get on it" (up to the 35 mph spped limit) it won't shift into 3rd. It stays in 2nd until I rev the engine back up to 2k, sometimes almost 3k before it will shift. That is why I think it is the converter on mine. If you're having similar troubles, let me know...maybe we can narrow it down further.

*Edit* Oh yeah, it does this hesitation at very low rpms (less than 1k) and I open the throttle up to at least 1/2, more like 3/4's open when it does it most...let me know.

Your torque converter cannot cause those problems. Take your car to a good tranny shop, it may just need some adjustments.

Back