Balancer Needs Repair

455Poncho

So my car died the other day, did some reading on here and figured out its the harmonic balancer (the way it wobbles was a dead give away ;) )

Now i need to obviously pull the old one off and replace it with a new one. What should i know about doing this (ie. what all should i buy, where should i get a new one, steps i should go through, things i should watch out for)

Thanks

hey hey... i have a 86 GRAND PRIX LE T-TOP very rare. Well mines has a 305 V8 5.0L. Will soon have a 350 CHEVY from a CORVETTE. I dont think any other cars feel as bad *** as behind the wheel of a true 5.0 and up Liter engines. Pontiac makes bad *** cars man. Cant wait till i start driving mines again. Ohh all of this is besides the point of ur thread sorry.

Well, if you want to keep it from failing again, you should replace it with a BHJ unit like the one pictured below. Click the pic for more info. A search of this board will show detailed instructions for removal of the broken unit.

<center></center>

Paul

Listen to Paul - the stock unit, while a lot less expensive, is a peice of junk. It is barely strong enough for the stock engine and fails randomly.

I have the BHJ damper (we don't have a balancer the engine is internally balanced) and it is very good quality. Use an after market Aluminum main pulley and you will keep a somewhat stock weight (the BHJ is much heavier than the stock unit).

While your in there, get a new crank sensor and have your radiator cleaned or think about getting it recored to a 3-row. This is also a good time to replace your belts.

You can probably get the balancer off without removing the radiator but it will be a little tight in there. If you do pull the radiator, get a set of teflon IC gaskets from Wynn (tbird88) to reseal the intercooler. They are not the cheapest solution (<$20) but they are the easiest.

Aaron

Back