Raced a WRX

supercharged95

I usually dont post my street racing stories on the board for numerous reasons, but I thought this was really interesting and thought I'd share:

On my way home from work I notice a mitsu behind me and seeing as how I usually cruise in the bird this guy was riding my arse. Well we get off of the freeway and as we pull up to a stoplight he flies by me(racing to get to the redlight). I notice as he's going by me that he has the WRX badge so I think to myself "this could be interesting." As always my windows are down and as I pull up to him he rolls his windows down but wont look over at me.
The light turns green and we both ease out, while I'm staring at him like he's Pamela Anderon not wearing a top. He finally punches it at about 10mph and it's on. Suprisingly I pulled about 10 ft on him then he shifts to second and I gain a little more, then I shift and hold my lead. We went up to about 60 with me keeping the same 10-15ft lead.
I'm about 100% positive he was stock and I'm very sure he was trying because after we started slowing down he gunned it, got ahead of me weaving in and out of traffic and such.
You guys can make your own assumptions about this, but as for me I will chalk this up as a win:D

There were two

There were a pair of WRX's at the track in Calgary last friday. Both of them were around the 15.3 mark. Both were stock. remember this is at a 3500 foot elevation as well. I was running 15.1's that night, but my high mile Cat is not stock. At the other track I run at, In Medicine Hat, the elevation is 2300 feet. I have managed some 15.0's here, but yet to run it in cool weather . . . usually around the 90 degree mark. Anyway there is a WRX with a boost controller that runs 14.8's here. Obvious with the bosst upped. With the boost stock he was in the 15.1-15.2 range.

Dave

They are

They are . . . I should have done a conversion for you . . . using NHRA correction factors a 15.3 at 3500 feet would be the same as a 14.65 at sea level. So depending on where you are they are a mid 14 second car . . . low 14's that might be pushing it. The WRX STI's however are considerable faster than that.

Dave

Aren't the new STI's supposed to go low 13's high 12's? Please correct me if I'm wrong. If so, then I've had a false since of respect for them :)

Brandon

the WRX STI is considerably more powerful than the WRX. From what I've read the STI is a mid to low 13 second car. But then again I also read that the WRX is a mid to low 14 second car, but that is obviously wrong.

Congrats man....

I got my "arse" kicked by a WRX, Though it wasn't stock because you could hear the blow off valve(didn't know what it was, never heard a blow off valve till then) I chatted with him a bit to give him props.

The bad thing is that I had just seen him get smoke by Integra on the highway:eek:

ehhem,

let me help you guys out. To answer your question, you must understand the car, the wrx. You see, the car comes here severally undertuned and restricted. The car is a fast car once you remove the nasty restrictions that your SCs do not have. FOr instance, there is a cat in the uppipe between the header and turbo, resulting in terrible turbo lag, so until 3600rpm, the car has no power. Along with the downpipe which is small and has a plate that covers the wastegate! thats right the wastegate is covered, no air gets out like it should. WHY? to meet emissions and to be able to meet emissions for many many years.

Now, most ppl who drive a wrx can't do the car justice. Its a different tranny, different launching, etc because the tranny is an old japanese design along with AWD ...

SO what does this mean? It means that the car is more restricted than the STI. I run quicker than the STIs and Evos. I also run faster than the V8 guys. I run stock fuel, intercooler and turbo. I am at a maximum and to be honest, it runs smoother now than stock.

So with those WRXs, most ppl assume they are fast and expect the car to go... no, if it is stock you must put it in its power range and then you have a rocket. Being catless and properly tuned i reach max boost at 3000rpm and hold it all the way to redline. A SC cannot take a wrx at launch, sorry guys, AWD. Secondly, once its boosting, its going. STock, the car tapers boost at 5500rpm and the car looses power. The car was designed to be restricted so that the insurance would be cheaper than the 250hp JDM version. However, I am running 320hp (260hp awhp) safely and consistantly.

SO dont mock the rex, because when it snows, we are doing doughnuts around you!!! In the rain, snow, whatever, the car is there kicking ***. Its a perfect alltime car to own. I can drive it year round and instead of being caught in my beater car, I always have my best car with me and I always have fun.

actually my buddy has a 90 stock and another has a 91 custom modded. The 91 is ... it looks great, i think he did an excellent job with it. CUstom IC, custom intake, exhaust, P&P of supercharger, etc. guages, wheels, he did the car justice! it looks great, nothing is too much or too little, which is rare in the car world, i give himprops. I raced the 90 stock with my 01 ws6 and I beat him everytime. He bet me recently that he could take me at 40mph start all the way up ... i dont think so, but its his money hes gonna loose ;) what do you guys think?

I think you said you only had a WRX in your other post...but I could see you wanting a WS6

BTW: How many other forums did you go enlighten...

Last edited:
I used to have a ws6 and when it snowed I couldnt go anywhere. Then the insurance went up so I sold it ... it was a sad day, I saved for 5 years to get that car and I had to unload it ...

Oh crap I'm everywhere. Since my buddy got his 90 running again and wants to run with us, I was looking for technical info for him and just stumbled upon these posts.

I dont know everything, and any info you guys provide me with on the SC would be great! I'm trying to get him out of his fantasy world and into the real world. He is dead set that his car runs 13s stock ... but he never ran it. I'm trying to get hom to start modding it so he has bragging rights.

you can see my mods on my site...I ran a best time of 14.3...traction issues of course....I plan on a dyno tune, DRs and cold (florida) weather to break into 13s

So no, your friend doesnt run 13s stock....maybe low 15s or high 14s if he has a factory freak

14 sec wrx's

ALL wrx run low 14's all of you can tell me you can run a 1.1 60 foot, in any sc the best you can get is about 1.8-2.2 if your fast and lucky.
launch an sc at 6k youll smoke em lauch an awd and youll be about 3 cars ahead of the rear wheel drive.

WEll, actually us AWD guys can get 1.8 60fts nicely but if you want to risk your tranny and put some hard abuse on the car I've seen 1.5 and 1.6s but im not that desirious to achieve the best 1/4, I'd rather have a well rounded car ;)

But traction is everything. RWD is better than FWD in a performance environment, however in a snowy/wet fwd may prove to be more comfortable, however AWD is always the best choice. Especially if you have a controllable center diff, than you can have fun by playing with the torque split!

The problem with a 6k drop is that your tranny is gonna take major abuse, no matter who makes it. Its better to lauch at 3-4k and run the clutch a bit. Id burn the clutch before first gear anyday.

Its all in what you want from your car. Some ppl like extreme oversteer, but i prefer a AWD sideways slide ;)

Whats a WRX??? STI??? never heard of one them dere dingys.
yes they are fast, & SCs can be whipped but......11s & 12s do happen, in SCs.

Suburu impressa WRX, and STI 4 door, 4 cylender, 4 wheel drive
WRX = 14 flat all day stock
STI = 13.20-13.50 all day Stock

Then theres the Evo 8
mitsubishi Evlution Lancer 8 = Same as STI

SBS.... :)

Back