Cold crank vs. Hot crank

ThunderDave

I'm finding that on my 91 SC that it starts fairly easy when it is cold. When it has been run and the engine is hot, it is harder to start. Sometimes I wonder if it's going to. Does anyone have any ideas about what this might be? Maybe a bad sensor?

Thanks,

David

start me up

The starter turns over fine when it cranks cold and hot. It doesn't start hard when it's hot all the time. Sometimes it will crank right up with just a bump of the key and sometimes it has to turn over and over and over and, well you get the picture. I thought maybe it could be the ignition switch going bad also.

I'll get it checked out soon before it leaves me somewhere I don't want to be.

Thanks for the suggestion.

David

I am having the exact opposite problem on my Jeep right now; lol. Letting off & cranking again lets me start it.

Check your Air charge temperature sensor for proper operation.

hmm..

Identical to my car. My car always starts good cold (up until now actually), but when its hot, sometimes it doesnt' even start. It takes a couple of cranks. And then it spits and sputters. My car actually has been like this since I got it. But not the problem has seem to gotten progressively worse...Now its starting to spit and sputter even when its cold (tho it starts every time), and when its warm it will start and then stall. And then when I get it running, the rpms drop down to like 400 and the engine tries to correct itself and it jumps up to around 1100 then back down..then up..then down....over and over again till i rev her up. I have no idea of the problem. Someone once told me it was the gas in the fuel lines boiling and it just took a little while to get that burnt up, but I dont' buy that anymore. My car has a fresh rebuild and its running like poo. So I don't know what to do now.

blown away

I thought my car had problems. And you have a recent rebuild? Man, I'd be checking everything on there because something ain't right if it's running that way after a rebuild. Mine runs fine after cranking it cold, no spitting or sputtering. The problem of it taking a while to start when it's hot doesn't happen all the time. And when it does happen, it only sputters a little and then idles fine. I don't know what that could be. Yours sounds much worse. :(

I hope you are able to get that car figured out and get it running good again. Let us know what happens.

David

ACT sensor

Air charge temperature sensor provides the ECA (electronic control assembly) with fuel / air mixture temperature information. The ECA uses this information to correct and control fuel flow during cold enrichment (cold starts).

Haynes Thunderbird / Cougar manual 1989-1997.

David

Back