Interior swap

SC8990

I'm swapping the interiors from my 90' to my 89' and I was wondering if there is a easy way to get the dash off? Or will I need any special tools to remove all the seat belt stuff? Any suggestions for removing sound deading material under the carpet? Thanks.

Somewhere on this board are detailed instructions about how to remove the dash. I came across it when i did a search for air conditioning. You have to remove the dash to get to the AC evaporator or the heater core. Try an AC search or a dash removal search. Maybe even a heater core search.

Thanks that was just what I needed. I do however have two more questions.

1. Is there anything inside the dash I should not remove from a auto and put in a 5-speed?

2. How the hell do I get the auto shifter knob off? I tried just pushing in the button and pulling but no luck, does the key have to be on? Does it need to be in a certain gear?

Please help me ASAP in the middle of the swap as we speak. Thanks guys.

I'm not sure if I am much help to you as far as getting the shift knob off but on my 94' there is a beefy clip that is slid in the front side of the handle that locks the knob on. After removing that it slides up with some force. Also, there is a wire for the O/D button but that shouldn't apply to your year.

the first time you take the knob off you have to push the button and pull straight up HARD. it doesn't matter what gear. i did it in drive at a red light just messing around.

Thanks for your help guys but unfortunately I gave it a little too much force and broke it lol. Luckily it is just a parts car.

So far i've remove/installed the interiors from both cars except for the dash. I'm only seeing 3 of 5 bolts holding it on, 2 on drivers side corner, 1 on passenger corner, any info on the other 2? I read that there is a hidden one but nobody has gone into detail.

Also i'm not sure what all is attached to the dash but is there anything I can NOT move from a auto to a 5-speed? Nobody has awnsered this yet and I don't really want to find out for myself.

Back