Whats up with these pictures?

darkstar_one

hey hey... well i got my car on jack stands and i took off my tire. yet i cannot find what makes the clunky noise. anyone can tell me what is wrong in my pictures. i know the whole damn springs and shocks need to be replace but anything else?

CLICK HERE TO SEE IT

Clunking noises or popping noises? It could be anywhere from shock mounts, to ball joints, to control arms, to loose subframe bolts. Hell, the hub bearings could be shot. I'd check everything.

From what I can see

The upper ball joint and swaybar endlinks are all in pretty poor shape. Either one of these can cause a rattle and clunk. The upper ball joints are not indiviually replaceable and will require new upper control arms. All of these parts are available from parts stores (my endlink came from carquest and almost everyone carries upper control arms). Whenever you see that protective sleeve near any kind of balljoint ripped, you can bet that some dirt or moisture will find its way in and destroy the joint quickly. If you are unsure about diagnosing the problem, take it somewhere and have it checked out. You don't want to be stranded when those upper balljoints fail.

Anthony

Things wrong....

Hmmmm.....A test eh?

Sorry for the duplicate information....Coast to Coast SC beat me posting by 1 minute!

Upper Ball Joint boot is trash, so it's very likely the ball joint could be trash also, but not necessarily. My boot is trash, but the joint is still good, at least for a while. The entire upper control are must be replaced to fix the upper ball joint. It's a relatively easy process. Aftermarket TRW of MOOG control arms are about $70 at Autozone.

Sway bar end link boots are shot on both ends, so it's also very likely the end links are bad. These are relatively easy to replace also, but I haven't found them at Autozone. Advance sells them, they are about $40 each. Also, you can try Car Quest. 5 Star Ford would also be another source, among other Ford dealers.

On the good side, your lower ball joint boots are intact, so in all likelyhood, so are your lower ball joints. The tie rod ends look good also, but need to be greased if they aren't the sealed type with no grease fittings.

This is all I have observed, but it's real difficult to troubleshoot via pictures....

clunking

An Easy way to check the sway bar links, is to push the car side to side. push on top of the door and somebody listen for a clunking sound. If you hear it ,it's your sway bars links. I owned 3 t-bird, all made that when drive. Two of them it ways the links. The other one was links and balls joints. Give a shot, or bring it to a shop.

Back