Rearended pic and ?

T-bird4vr

Alright guys/gals. This old lady rearend me last night. It didn't do much damage, a gouge and a coupe small scratches. Do I make her pay for it or let it slide?

I hope everyone will agree with me here.
rear%20ended.JPG

If it didn't bend any steel, and remove/crack any plastic, I'd tend to let it slide. But it would depend on the overall shape of the car. If I had just paid $4000 for a paint job... I'd be wanting it fixed and I wouldn't want to be paying for it myself. But if the body is already in "good" condition (i.e., not BEST condition) then chalk it up to the same thing that can happen just sitting in a parking lot.

i wouldnt do a thing about it, that stuff can come right out with a little elbow grease, why go through the trouble and buildup on the system for something so insignificant. Then again if your car has absolutely NO rock chips or anything of that sort then i might think of making her pay for it but certainly not put it through insurance.

There are rock chips on the hood, but that is absolutely it. The gouge will NOT buff out either. It is clear though the paint.

miller41.jpg

miller42.jpg

miller43.jpg

sorry to tell ya but i would just grab em and suck it up :eek:

by the way though, you did an excellent job putting those sticker inserts on the rear bumper looks almost like it was painted in there

Last edited:
THANK YOU 1BADSC!

I wrote this to tony while you posted:
Alright, well I guess I don't want to hear it then. I'm going to have it painted/fixed. That is what insurance is for. Maybe I should feel bad but I don't. Traffic wasn't piled up or anything. I didn't panic stop. Nothing out of the ordinary. She just f-ing hit me. Those scratches would bug me forever.
-Julian

Last edited:
I hear ya there, little scratches like that would drive me insane. And they will become one big eyesore. Smart move getting it fixed.

Two years ago, I was sitting at a stoplight at a 4 way intersection. There was a little Food mart parking lot on my right hand side. I was in the right hand lanes and there was a car in opposite lane coming towards me that wanted to get into the food mart, so the guy in front of me just puts his truck into reverse and starts backing up... I lay on the horn and he doesn't stop and then he plows his Reese Hitch right into the front of my hood. It shoved the hood in and cut my bumper. Somtimes people just don't pay attention. But I will be damned if I am going to pay for their mistakes. :)

A situation like that can be hard to fight since it looks like you rear-ended him. I actually had about the same thing happen to me in my 88 turbo coupe. Completely stopped at a stop sign and the car ahead of me starts to make a left hand turn and decides the traffic is coming to quickly. I see the asz end raise up (rearly hit the gas) and hit the horn. I shifted to reverse but didn't start moving since I didn't have time to check my mirrors. I don't even think it ingauged (<spelling) into reverse before he hit me. Luckly he told the truth when the cops showed and got an illegal backing ticket or something. That was the second time I got the front end fixed on that car.

Somtimes people just don't pay attention. But I will be damned if I am going to pay for their mistakes.
Glad someone agrees with me.
Take care,
Julian

I have to chime in here....
Sometimes people just don't pay attention. But I will be damned if I am going to pay for their mistakes
I completely agree! Why should you lose out because of someone else's negligence. I am an adult and I accept responsibility for my actions, right wrong or otherwise, if it happened because of me, its my problem. My fiancé was rearended while stopped along with everyone around her on the freeway in LA just after merging with traffic about 2 weeks ago. The guy that hit her didn't feel he should have to make a report, go through insurance or otherwise even though he was clearly wrong and negligent in his actions. As a result, her car which was mint in the back is now damaged and she is going to physical therapy and doctors because of damage to her back and shoulder. I do not advocate law suits or the fraudulent claims that people get away with, BUT, if you are going to use the PRIVILEGE of driving, then accept the responsibility that comes along with it. Remember, this old lady is driving a lethal weapon, if she isn't capable of handling a car safely, she has no business driving it.
For anyone who disagrees with me, next time you are stopped by a cop or stand before a judge, try explaining to them why you should be exempt because of your incapacity or lack of desire to be responsible. Let me know how you make out.
T-bird4vr, this shouldn't even be something you have to consider, don't take advantage of her but do make her put your car back the way it was prior to the accident, regardless of its condition prior to getting hit.

Paul

BT Motorsports said:
T-bird4vr, this shouldn't even be something you have to consider, don't take advantage of her but do make her put your car back the way it was prior to the accident, regardless of its condition prior to getting hit.
Paul

You got it. Thanks Paul.
Julian

I agree, it isn't your fault she wasn't paying attention and hit you it was hers. Have your rear re-painted and have her pay, it's as simple as that.

here's one rear end I wouldn't' want to bump into(anna nicole smith)
photo9348832.jpg

I'd still hit it! Fat chicks need love too! Besides, it'd be pretty cool to be able to say, yeah I tagged that....TWICE!!!

If there were no other scratches on the bumper, let it slide. If there was no damage and you would really really like to have your bumper pristine the way it was, make her pay. Don't go through insurance though. Ask if she can afford to pay it out of pocket and fix it amongst yourselves. If she can't, THEN go through insurance.

Alex :cool:

As nearly everyone stated. If the car is not in mint condition, then let it slide. Otherwise have her pay.

Fine. Have her pay, since that is the answer you appear to have been waiting forl.

The problem with things like that are they become hassles that can really eat up your time. Without a car in pretty good shape (or a fresh paint job) I wouldn't feel it was worth it to put myself through the hassel that such an event can become.

It's getting fixed one way or the other. I'm getting a quote tomorrow, and then it is her decision on wether or not to let insurance pick it up.

Call me a dic, but I'm picky
Julian

Back