so i take it everyone elses light lights up?

darkstar_one

so this is for AUTOMATIC guys. When u shift into OD... does that light light up in the GAUGE thingy? Cuz mine doesnt... problem or what?

It only lights up when you shut overdrive off. On a 94-95 I would assume with the AODE.

Not sure what your car is.

then why the hell is there a OD light on my GAUGE cluster???.
My SC is a 91 SC AOD. Whats the point of it?

The only time I saw mine come on was if I had her pegged on the highway and it was time for her to shift to OD. The car would sound a "tone" and the OD light comes on. I don't think our cars can do a WOT upshift into OD, so you'd need to come off the gas a bit for it to shift up.

Other than that....If I am even right about that, I don't think it will come on....

um...uh...I think
you can probably do a site search and find some more informative threads about this.

Skip

racecougar said:
What difference in the bellhousing? I've never noticed a difference.

-Rod

When I had my trans out my roomate compared his aode bellhousing(out of his 95 stang) to my bellhousing and we noticed that:
1. Bolt holes were in different locations
2. The bellhousings were different in shape.

I think you're comparing the 4.6L version to the 3.8L version of the AODE/4R70W. They have two different bellhousing styles, one for 3.8/4.2/5.0 and one for 4.6/5.4.

-Rod

Darkstar,

Don't sweat it homey, its their to trip you out. Wait until you find the plug in back of the engine that doesnt go anywhere...that'll scare the crap out of you!

Alex

racecougar said:
I think you're comparing the 4.6L version to the 3.8L version of the AODE/4R70W. They have two different bellhousing styles, one for 3.8/4.2/5.0 and one for 4.6/5.4.

-Rod

yep, check my post again. my roomate has a 1995 mustang and to the best of my knowledge ford didn't start putting in the 4.6 until 96. :cool:

Hmm... I don't know why it would be different then. I do know that the 3.8L shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 5.0. Are the transmissions still out of the cars? Maybe you could get a pic?

-Rod

racecougar said:
Hmm... I don't know why it would be different then. I do know that the 3.8L shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 5.0. Are the transmissions still out of the cars? Maybe you could get a pic?

-Rod

haha I was actually going to put a reference in my last post to me taking a pic, but unfortunately the trans is back in my car and no offense, but I'm not going to take it bakcout to prove my point;). We were both kind of suprised when we saw the different size, and I have no explanation for it(kind of like why did ford use a 5x4.25 bolt pattern on our cars instead of 5x4.5 like on stangs/rangers, etc.). I might take it out this winter to replace the rear main seal(yes I am an idiot for not changing it when the trans was dropped). If and when I do I'll take a pic of the two and let you see the difference(if we still remember by then).

so nobody elses light lights up when u shift into OD? i mean... if the light is there on the gauges dont u think it should light up when u shift into OD.? what the feces? could of been used for something else. hmmm so whats up with that?

Mine only lights up when I push the button to take it out of overdrive. then a little green light lights up "O/D Off" it also blinks if theres a problem in the tranny but then it does it constantly. For instance mine did it when my speedometer synchro went out. Couldnt figure out why my speedo kept readin "0"! HaHaHa

mine light never comes on either i think the post was right about you must lift off wide open throttle for it to shift to od if you dont lift off throttle after about 10 sec light will come on and alarm will sound,, and for the rear main seal mine leaked for years until i added some lucas oil additive that fixed that my car is dry underneath now i was impressed i never saw an additive do that before

Last edited:
Back