Got a "marble in the nose"......

z90sc

Naturally,last week I go to the dyno,this week my blower has a rattle in the snout.I did the old "listen through the broomstick" and not only do I hear a rattle but I can feel it through the wood.So what is the worst case scenario?Is it hard to replace the snout bearings?I'm not a master mechanic but I've done nearly all the work on my car and I'm not afraid to try.This is a 94/95 blower that was rebuilt by Magnusson has less than 1200k on it.Unfortunately I don't know if the warranty is still good because I got it in trade.So come on you "snout rebuilders "help me out here with some ideas/suggestions.
z

Pull the nose off and replace the coupler. I don't know why it is making noise so early after rebuild, but I bet that is the problem. They make a hella noise when they are bad. I got a brand new replacement coupler off of ebay for $23 inluding shipping(they sell them there all the time). The repair is easy and what a difference! I doubt it is a bearing problem, they usually go 150K miles without trouble.

Thanks Dave..where do I look on Ebay?I did a search but couldn't find anything on Ebay motors..where was the one you got listed?
z

I got a rebuilt supercharger from Magnusen in '99 and from the moment I put it on, it had a very loud rumble. Your marble analogy is acurate, it sounds like a rock tumbler. The mechanic who just put in my new motor said the supercharger was unusually loud, but he didnt give any advice on what to do. I just assumed this is how the SC sounded, but we all know what happens when you assume...
Is ebay the only place to get the coupler? And what is a coupler? Thanks.

Jason

coupler

you need to pop the belt off ...and rotate it by hand ...feel if it has a solid coupler ..or a spring loaded coupler....just turn the pulley back and forth ...solid coupler it will feel direct ...if it's worn it will have play in it ...before it picks up the rotors ...if it is spring loaded ....you will feel rotors pickup the spring ...worn there will be slack before it picks up.. the spring ....and if it is a spring loaded coupler...you maybe in luck..and can reloaded the tension back in it ..least this worked for me ..need a vise and a long 12mm socket ...take either end of the spring ..put in vise ...slip 12mm socket through the spring ..so you can push against the spring ...and bend the end tabs back ...and that will load the spring end tabs back onto the drive pin ....just make sure you understand how it works ..when you take it off ...and you will see which way it has to be bent...and you will have to load it back onto the snout under tension ..to put it all back together ...dave

Back