5-speed gears: 3.08 or 3.27?

Thundersteel

I'm trying to decide what to upgrade my 2.73 gears to. I've heard that 3.27 is the way to go, but I've also heard that those gears make the engine rev too high. Some are even swapping their 3.27s back to 3.08s. I drive 45 miles per day going back and forth to work, but I'm not that worried about gas mileage. The bottom line is, I'd like better acceleration without seriously affecting the longevity of the engine and drivetrain. Any opinions? Thanks for your input!

What year is your car? My response will differ depending upon whether you've got a 89-93 or 94-95 M5R2.

My rear-end hosts 3.27s also. It only revs high when I tell it too.

First : 30
Second : 45
Third : Round 80
Fourth : 120
Fifth : 150? (Haven't gone that high)

I generally skip from 2nd to 4th if I'm feeling lazy.

I have a 95 also.

If you're not going to take it to the track, I'd suggest the 3.27's. I had them for years, and traveled up to 60 miles one way to work. Enjoyed them a lot.

However, if you do plan on taking your SC to the track, I'd suggest the 3.08's, as it will keep you from having to shift into fourth (unless your SC is faster than mine :)

I just changed to 3.08 from 3.27. Mainly because I was not able to hook up on street tires with the 3.27. and because I have to shift into fourth at the end of the quarter, doing 100mph.
I hope with the 3.08 I have better traction, better top speed,
and not have to shift into 4th tru the traps. Ill let ya know soon.
Althoug I am planning on going past the 300rwhp mark so that might give me a higher MPH at the track forcing me to shift anyways.

MY theory If you are near stock go with the 3.27.
If you plan on heavy mods the go with the 3.08s

I've got 3.27 gears in mine and I'm thinking of switching to 3.55s or 3.73s for the track. Cause I'm going into 4th anyway, I might as well get some use out of it before I hit the traps.

2.73'S to 3.27's

I'm not in Europe anymore, so I switched from my Autobahn gears to more streetable 3.27's.

With my OEM 2.73 gears I trapped in 3rd. gear, not completely wound out.

With my 3.27 gears I trap near 5100 rpm. At first I was afraid to go that far, but I kept pushing her, until I could trap in 3rd. (early 5-spd),

68COUGAR

Gears

Slysc said:
I've got 3.27 gears in mine and I'm thinking of switching to 3.55s or 3.73s for the track. Cause I'm going into 4th anyway, I might as well get some use out of it before I hit the traps.

I was gonna ask why not 3.55?

I have had both in my 92. Given your first gear ratio which is 3.75:1 vs. the early model 3.42:1 I would stay with the 3.08 rear end gears. Your start-up ratio would be too high and your 1st gear would be even more useless than mine is. At 65 with the 3:08's I turned about 2100 RPM...with the 3.27 around 2400 RPM

Duffy, I think its the other way around . the early trans have.
3.75 1st and the 94-95 have 3.42 1st
So going with the 3.55 makes 1st more useless in the early trans then in the 94-95 ones.
Correct me if I am wrong

Duffy Floyd said:
Not according to the Ford Helms Shop Manuals I have Ricardo.

My 95 Ford/Helms Manual agrees with Ricardo. (OOPS! No it doesn't it's wrong!)

You can also check the spec PDF's posted under the SC Literature on the main page.

Last edited:
Back