Crankshaft Position Sensor Install Problem

Scarter676

I am in the process of replacing the crankshaft position sensor. I have a problem, however. When the new sensor is installed I cannot get any clearance between the balancer and the sensor. If you turn the crankshaft the metal vane of the balancer comes into contact with the sensor. I tried readjusting, removing and replacing etc. I makes contact with the balancer vane no matter what I do to it. What would cause this? Is there a way to fix this?

I checked the old sensor and it is the exact same size as the new one. There are no marks on the sensor indicated that it was hit or damaged. The two metal pickups at the end of the sensor were completely gone. I am sure I have the right part. What went wrong???

I am obviously unable to get the matbook cover clearance that chilton calls out.

If you have any suggestions or know of a good SC mechanic in Austin TX please , please help.....

I have wasted money hand over fist on this car and it never runs right for more than a week at a time......

Thanks Stephen Carter

89 T-bird
Everything is new , because everything breaks,,,, constantly....

Agree. Try rotating the crankshaft and try another vane. If it works, the you have a problem with the vane ring on the back of the harmonic balancer, or some wobble. Check that the center HB bolt is present and accounted for. ;)
I presume that you haven't tightened the 2 tiny little bolts which hold the sensor to the bracket and that you have room to move it around some.

Are you sure you're putting it on right? The metal vane on the back of the balancer goes through the little slot on the sensor. I turn the crank (clockwise) so I can see and slide the sensor so the slot can strattle the metal vane which should be nice and straight. The sensing on the sensor is done between the 2 sides of slot, not on the end of the sensor itself. Good luck

Back