3.73s in a '95 auto SC?

dklitzke

Greetings,
I was wondering how 3.73s would work in my '95 automatic SC. It has full SCP exhaust including coated headers, 5% pulley, 180 degree tstat, and an Apten chip. It runs very good right now, but I recall sometime back, someone said they put in the 3.73s in an automatic, and said it felt like the car lost 500 lbs. I also wonder about cruising RPMs, gas mileage, etc. With the chip, duration between shifts is longer, and I'm afraid of over-revving in 1st gear. Any problems? I am hoping it turns out to be a fair tradeoff, because already, my car gets some scratch in second. Thanks for comments, suggestions. By the way, having your automatic flushed and filled with Mercon V is a great idea. Better cooling properties. I just did mine at 94,000.

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN

I believe that 3.73's would be to much for an automatic. You would probably run through first gear really quick. i wouldn't do it. But that is just my 2 cents.

Agreed, 3.55s would be about as steep as I would go. IMO I think you would notice more of a gain if you put in a stall.

I have had 3:73's in my 94 for 2 years or so now and have nothing but good things to say about them. They make the car feel tons lighter with the trade off of a few hundred more RPM's at 60mph.
Steeper rear gears are one of the few mods you can do that have a big time seat of the pants power addition.

Well I just got 4.10 for my 94 auto.....Anyway your factory gear is a 331...I wouldnt even bother going to a 355...373 or leave it alone:O)..Also..Might want to look into getting a posi unit while your doing the gears..Your car will rev higher in overdrive on the highway however the performance gain will be well worth it for you in my opinion

3.73 in a 95 auto sc?

I have 3:73 gears. The car runs about 2200 rpms. in overdrive at 65 mph. Like the man said the car feels 1000lbs. lighter ever when its running like a friken diesel. :eek:

i had 3.73's in my 92 5 speed by mistake. Way too steap. At the track i was holding 4th gear until 5500rpms. 1st gear is too short. 3.27's or maybe even 3.55's in a 5 speed. In that auto i think you'll love the 3.73's Go for it.

Go with the 3:73s.....

......you will love them. I have them in my 94SC and I really like them. Like the other comments the SC launches like a rocket. It is tough to keep your foot out of it. I also have a Transgo Shift Kit in my tranny along with an auxilary transmission oil cooler. My 1-2 shift is harsh if I just mash it a little. However, I have learned to live with it. It actually gets softer the closer you get to 5 grand in first. My 2-3 shift is sweeeeeeet with the 3-4 shift a little soft. I normally get around 17 MPG around town but suprisingly I get around 23 MPG on the highway. For an automatic, 3:73s are the only way to go!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler.

I just bought the rear end rebuild kit, and 3.73 gears. I can't wait to get them installed.
I'll either have them in by Saturday the 11th, or the following Tuesday.
I'll let you guys know how they are. I can't wait arrgh.
I'm also wondering if I'll notice any difference with rebuilding the rear end. Everything is being replaced, clutches, bushings, ect.

Back