The ole spark plug debate

blksc

Im sure this has been rolled over on the boards many times. I heard many times that x spark plugs dont work as well and blah blah, but never heard any reasoning behind it. Just to stir things up i just picked up a set of triple platinum splitfire3 plugs. These things look awesome and have a finer electrode than the autolites we use in our cars.

Hey, when did you move to Hawthorne? I'm just down the way from you now. Anyway, I just bought a set of NGK Iridiums, the electrode on these are super thin.

Bro i've been in hawthorne. YOu should stop by sometimes. Yea i was gonna go with iridium from sparkplugs.com but i wanted to see if that split V electrode made any difference. What color sc you have ?

I never knew. Ya, we will have to hook up sooner or later. I have a Dark Blue SC with a nice white stripe down the center, he he it's oxidation. Looks like @#!$ but runs good. Sounds pretty bad right now too because of exhaust leak but that will be fixed soon too. I actually live in Stanton now.

lol @ .99cents a plug. the split fires were 5.99 but they have a 2 dollar rebate per plug so they were about 3.99

yea i know. ive read atleast a gazillion posts about which spark plugs are junk but no hard evidence besides opinion. just wanted to stir the currents a bit

Denso Iridiums IT20's..Got rid of my high end miss and fire even with 21psi..And I left the gap as is..Remeber if plug fires there is no reason to put a closer gap..The further the gap the better the burn and teh more power you will make..So I;m thinking if My oklugs fired fine at 21psi at factory set gap(which they say not to screw with) They should be fine for you

Thats good info, im not saying that the oem plug isnt good, im just digging after the reason why people ward against other plugs out there. Listening to those on the board i gapped my plugs at .048 but the more i learned, the more i realized i should have left them at the stock gap!

Denso Irridium IT20 or IT22 depending on how cool of a plug you want.

I had bucking under boost and missing and all kinds of issues when I increased my boost with regular Motorcraft plugs.
When I shelled out the bucks for the denso irridiums, it solved all those problems. I love those plugs. They were worth the $$$.

There are a couple to choose from, but the best recommendation is not one that comes from somone else. experiment with different plugs and based your final choice on your satisfaction.

Not exactly the answer I was looking for...
I've only had my SC for a couple of months and really only know a little about it. I spend a lot of time on SCCOA trying to learn anything that will help me.

might not have been the 'right' answer, but you cant expect to learn much by adopting the opinions of others. If i told you that autolites were the best gapped at .030 and you tried them out and found that you lost power would that have still been the right answer ;-) If you wanna play it safe then stick with oem plugs.

Im not trying to be a ****, from my own experience its better to satisfy your curiosity by experimentation and analysis -- that way you walk away know that it did or didnt work by your own deduction and not because you read it on the board. There is alot of GREAT information on the boards and im not saying otherwise.

the 1st set of plugs i ever installed in my sc were bosch platinums
after about 5k I was installing a new wire set and decided to pull the plugs and check them --the electrodes on the plugs were about 75% gone !my car ran great at that time and I suspect the plugs just suck--I think the right plugs are very important cause that burned metal or what ever it is went somewhere like through the motor.

Back