65 PSIG fuel pressure

ThunderBuzzard

Does anyone know if the fuel pressure regulater fails to the closed position? I have 65 PSIA pressure on the fuel rail. The filter element in the Fram fuel filter was rattling around in the housing when I replaced it and I don't know if I have something plugging the fuel return line or if thr FPR has failed.

I've never seen one make more pressure when they fail. Usually they will not supply as much pressure.

However if something were clogging the small hole on the bottom of the regulator that returns unused fuel to the rail and ultimatly the tank, it would cause the pressure to increase.

You can pick up a regulator for around $25 at most auto parts stores, so I would change it first.

David

Well if the FPR failed you should have gas coming out of the vac nipple when you remove the vac line from it. A leak in that vac line would cause the FPR not to get enough vac to open it also causing high pressure.
If its not either of these things then you may have an obstruction in the return line.

A leak in that vac line would cause the FPR not to get enough vac to open it also causing high pressure.

Mike,

Even if the vacuum/boost signal line were off, it wouldn't supply more pressure than it's factory setting of roughly 40 psi.

David

I had a problem a few years back where I was getting only 20psi...Couldnt figure it out..Then my pressure spiked to 120..Yes 120..Then fuel started shooting out of my regulator...WHat happened was a peice of rubber from my SS fuel line got caught in the regulator..Eventually it passed teh regulator and blocked my return line..If you had a chunk of your old filter getting passed your regulator that can be your problem. Check your return line for a restriction. If its clear change theregulator..Also run car with vacume line off and tell us what pressure is

The fuel pressure at idle with and without the vacuum line connected is 65 PSIG. I hope the blockage is at the regulator, not in the return fuel line.
I am going to send the injectors and fuel rail to The Injector Perfector for cleaning and balancing. Has anyone used him before?

That will not solve your PSI problem..However Its not a vacum problem..So Id do as I said previously/..It be a waste sending out your injectors

I want to get the injectors cleaned because I don't know how long my fuel filter was messed up. I will disconnect my return fuel line from the fuel rail to see if the line is plugged.

FPR

Hey how in the hell are you guys getting to the FPR without removing the supercharger and intake? I am trying to check mine out and I can't even get the vacuum line off for fear I will not get it back on. Maybe it's just my 95 that has this problem.

on my 89 you can remove the FPR by removing the wiper motor assembly, but definately recommend pulling the supercharger for ease.

If your fuel filter was bad you may have plugged up the filter screen on the the FPR which would explain the 65PSI.

I recommend removing the entire fuel rail if you find anything in the FPR. If it's in the regulator, then there is a good chance it's in a least one injector.

Aaron

I disconnected the fuel return line and blew through it, I could hear air bubbles in the fuel tank,cool. I connected a hose to the fuel rail where the return hose plugs in. I ran the engine for a few minutes and there was no fuel comming out of it. The regulator is plugged solid. There is rust and crust down in the supply side of the fuel rail and in the fuel supply line. I plan on flushing the line by running the pump.I am definatly sending the injectors and fuel rail out for a cleaning. Tom

Dude...Nows a great time to UPGRADE your injectors..How much are they going to charge you to clean injectors?.....Rail you can probably clean yaself if anything.....I gues sif you plan on remaining stock just clean em

It's only $20.00 for each injector. I haven't modified the car too much. I am having trouble getting through emission testing as it is.

What are you failing on for emissions? could be that you have had a problem for a while and it finally went south on you now.

High fuel pressure would give you high hydrocarbons and a cylinder or two running lean from a plugged injector will give you sh1t load of NOx

Aaron

I don't remember for sure ,but I think I only payed $32.00 or $38.00
each for new lucas injectors.#42lb.

I think i would upgrade,unless your keeping every thing stock.

randy

Thats a pretty good price on those injectors Randy! Does your supplier carry other injectors besides Lucas?
Could you hook me up?;)

Back