Wrapping the IC tubes...

Wantess

What can i use to wrap the lower ic tube to prevent heat soak? Any recomendations on a certain product? Thanks.

Thermo tech sells a self adhesive wrap thathas an aluminized finish..Go for it..Or look onlien for other companys that sell teh same

wrap

I used an aluminized insulator wrap that has an adhesive backing. I think it's for starters that get too close to headers. I got it at Ramchargers.

Yea that is the ticket dude thanks. I did a google search on thermo tech and found a sight with different types of couplers and hoses etc., you should check it out... And yes i have heard of people porting out the tubes but i really didnt see the gain in it. Is there a gain?

teh only advantage to the wrap I showed as oppossed to a standard header wrap is the foil layer which helps reflect the heat as well

With the price of some of that wrap.If you have a welder
or access to one.It may be about the same price to just reroute
the lower IC tube up and away from the header.

randy

Was the 15ft roll sufficiant to wrap the intercooler tubes, or did you have to get two rolls. 15ft doesn't seem like too much when your wrapping in inch and a half think intervals. I am consisdering doing this myself, just want to make sure I get enough if I do it.

Brandon

we used d.e.i. header wrap, and we also wrapped th exhaust manifolds. d.e.i. = design enginering inc. this stuff works good enough to grab and hold onto a steel tube header with engine running at 1500 r.p.m. for mabey 2 seconds. this is probably 10 inches from the head and no load.

I use header wrap

I got header wrap on mine.
I wraped the upper and lower IC tubes it helped a bunch to lower the temp also I soak the wrap at the track with spray bottle of ice water just spray a little till it soaks it in.

Dont get it around the belts as they will slip under high RPM's but spraying the wrap cools the tubes down.

Back