'99 Cobra IRS Center Section

Thundersteel

Anyone know where to get a complete IRS center section (28-spline) from a '99 Cobra? I'm looking to install 3.27s in my 5-speed, and figured that would be the easiest way. Thanx!

You're talking big bucks to buy the entire IRS...most of which would be useless to you. (Hubs, rotors and center section is about all you could use, and only if you plan on ipgrading your brakes and swaping to the Mustang bolt pattern for wheels too.) For the bucks I would try and find a Mark VIII center section and swap in a posi traction carrier with the gear ratio you desire.

Be patient, and keep an eye open on eBay. I've picked up two for less than $250 over the past few months.

[You're talking big bucks to buy the entire IRS...most of which would be useless to you. (Hubs, rotors and center section is about all you could use, and only if you plan on ipgrading your brakes and swaping to the Mustang bolt pattern for wheels too.)]

I was under the assumption that the '99 Cobra IRS is a direct bolt-on, since it is an independent rear also. Is that correct?

Just the pumpkin, which is what I thought you were asking about. The hubs and rotors can also be used if you want to change the bolt pattern and upgrade to Cobra rear brakes.

Yeah, if your patient, a good deal will come your way. I picked up a low mileage Cobra rear for $200 shipped.

Thomas

Hardly...as indicated the only parts you can use are the hubs if upgrading to the Mustang 4.5" bolt circle pattern, the rotors if planning a brake upgrade and the differential itself. Nothing else is the same.

The center sections from the '99 cobra's have 3.73 gears in them, the 96-98 cobra's had 3.27's but live axle rear end.
Find one from a '96, 97-98 mark viii LSC, it'll have 3.27's but no posi, just buy one and put it in.
Anyway you can get the center sections from 5starford for around $630 i believe. I was gonna buy one and install it in my mark viii, but my bro picked up a supercoup parts car, so i'll use that rear end and have gears installed for much cheaper than buying the whole thing.

Justin

justin07 said:
The center sections from the '99 cobra's have 3.73 gears in them Justin

Sorry, but that's just wrong. I have a 99 Cobra IRS, brand new on a pallet in 1999, in my 98 Cobra (now with 4.56's). I also have a 99 Cobra pumpkin in my SC (although I swapped out the 3.27's for 3.08's).

Cobra's from 1996 through 1998 (solid axle) and the IRS 1999 and 2001 all came with 3.27's. The 2000 Cobra R (IRS) and the 2003 Cobra (IRS) have 3.55's. The 99 Cobra Pumpkin was the only year that used 28 spline axles, the other IRS Cobra's have 31 spline axles.

FRPP sells a 3.73 28 spline pumpkin as an aftermarket part.

Last edited:
Will i be able to rebuild my 94 5spd trans with these Internals?

FORD COBRA 8.8 TRAC-LOC CARRIER W/ 308:1 gear

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Nick

Black94SC5spd said:
Will i be able to rebuild my 94 5spd trans with these Internals?

FORD COBRA 8.8 TRAC-LOC CARRIER W/ 308:1 gear

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Nick

5spd trans? No, we're talking about differentials.

But if that's what you meant to say, then the answer is maybe.

I have no idea what 8.8 trac-loc carrier you're referring to, and the differential side gears need to have retention grooves for the half-shaft retaining clips. Check the diff you're planning to buy and make sure the side gears are machined to accept the half-shaft clips. And be sure that the diff has 28 spline side gears also.

Last edited:
my bad, everytime i've inquired on getting a '99 cobra center section i've never heard of them w/ 3.27's only 3.73's mentioned until now.

Justin

Justin if you buy from FMS it comes with 3.73's....Factory there 3.27's...Check ebay I got mine for 200..Going price is 200-260 from what I seen....An dyou can put a 99 and up cobra tracklock diff in your 94-95 non posi rears

99 Cobra IRS Center

I don't know about the guy who says he got a Cobra IRS diferential from E-bay for $200. I have been on the prowel for simply an aluminum IRS case either Cobra or Lincoln VII for six months and haven't seen one yet. I have seen entire Cobra set ups that go in the $1,000 range. Aside from the 8.8 aluminum differential their really isn't anyrhing else you could simply swap in.
The Explorer cases are real comon but not good for our cars. A lot of complete IRS rear units are offered for under $400 and go unsold because the cost of shipping is so high. If the cost of setting up the gears wasn't the issue (about $150 I am told) than my advise is buy a new set of the gears in the ratio you want from FMC or Summit

Back