Information on wheel spacers?

Deep6

Does anyone have any info on where to get wheel spacers for my car?

I'm going to be getting a rim with a 42mm offset that is a 17x7.5" rim and run a 255-50ZR-17 tire on it. There is a decent chance that there may be slight rubbing on the suspension arms. Ed nicholson recommended a very small spacer but I'm not sure where to get one or in what size?

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to order these things this week.

Also anyone know what I should ask for a set of used SC stock rims? There is some minor clear coat peeling and one wheel has some slight yellowing on the "spokes". What would be a fair price to ask for these?

I had the same question. I have a catalog from a local performance parts store that has wheel adapters. they are made by a company called coyote. i haven't researched them at all since i don't have wheels yet. you may be able to find something on an internet search. good luck, let me know what you find.

Machine shop. they can make you a set any size you want. Check Ebay they are guys that make them and sell them for about 180 a set. Be warned that Aluminum is not the way to go. It will fail after a while. How long who knows, but it's not a good feeling to watch your wheel run past you. Insist on Steel as the material. Should actually be cheaper to make.

Jeff

I took my SC to a local wheel/tire shop and he ordered them overnight. I'm assuming most wheel/tire places will have the same info. They cost me $60. for the set of 4. I have seen them online for less though

Sounds like you made a $60 mistake you either have spacers (which need longer studs) or cast aluminum which is Way worse than a billet machined aluminum adapter.

Adapters bolt to the wheel hub ang then the rim bolts to the adapter.

Spacers go between the hub and wheel

Jeff

Well, a spacer is what was recommended....

With the 17x7.5" Rim with a 42mm offset and a 255-50ZR-17 tire, there is a chance with a 10" contact patch that there will be slight rubbing. FastED N. Recommended a "very small" spacer to keep the wheel from rubbing.

A spacer is like a "shim" right? It'll allow the wheel to physically sit further out from the hub right? Wouldn't it be a good idea from a performance stand point to get the biggest studs and spacers possible to increase the track front and rear? "Wider is better right?"

But for this purpose, where can I get them, and in what size would be recommended for my purposes and would I need to get new wheel studs if it a "Very small" spacer? I'll be sure to get one made from steel due to durability issues.

The problem with the spacer is that you lose thread engagment. You should have 1.5 times the diameter of threads in the nut. Adding a 1/4" spacer will probably be too large (the threads will not be long enough) and would only increase the width by 1/2".

Really if you are going to do it just add longer studs. If using a spacer then it's OK to use aluminum. since you are compressing the shim between the wheel and hub.

Jeff

Umm, not really good.

OK. Is 1/4" the smallest spacer that one could buy? Or could I get smaller ones like 1/8" or 1/16"???

Folks don't report any rubbing with a 245-50ZR-17 Tire but SOME folks do report a slight bit of rubbing from a 255-50ZR-17 Tire depending on tire manufacturer and construction.

So I guess my question is that I want to get the spacer as sort of "insurance" to keep me from rubbing. I don't know how long our wheel studs are, but I would think that we'd have enough threads with a 1/4" spacer. I'm not sure, I haven't measured the length of the studs. Anybody out there get their studs replaced with longer ones?

I really would like to avoid having to get new studs as the increase in cost almost will seem like I should have just converted to the mustang bolt pattern in the first place.

Wheel spacers can be found on the shelf of almost any auto store. They are $15 to $20 a set. I have 7/16" spacers on mine. I would think that 1/4" maybe the smallest.
Since I use long shank style lugs I do not have a problem with losing any thread, but that will depend on your whell style.
gary

Remember I said only that they might be needed, I wasn't 100% sure on that. I'd suggest getting them bolted on the car, putting it back on the ground, then having a good look to see how much clearance you have. There's a very good chance you won't need any spacers at all. If you do, as Gary mentioned, you can get the thin cast aluminum ones from any of the performance shops. They are available as thin as 3 or 4 mm, no need to buy 1/4" or 5/16" spacers if you don't need that much extra clearance.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Thanks guys...

OK, I didn't realize that you could get spacers that small. I'll take your advice ed and mount the tire on the car first to see if there are any clearance issues. And like gary said, most auto stores carry wheel spacers. So I think I'll be OK. I'm just a neurotic guy when it comes to various mods and I want to analize the mod from all points of view rather than bolt something to my car and not be happy with it.

Back