engine stumbles during boost... ?

gorynytch

my 89 SC has a problem in which the engine stumbles, even almost stalls ( for a split second ), but it only does this when the boost gauge reads between 0 and 15.

If i baby it and drive without using boost she's fine.

What could this be ... ?

thank you

Mark

yeah mines kind of does it when i punch the gas. I know mines needs a new TPS and IAC. Also a change in sparkplugs and wires.

If i punch it on the gas... it will hesitate and then it will take off. I know what ur going through

plugs and wires

change them out. same problem was happening with my baby, Vivian. It was a sad day when it first happened...sigh. yeah. switched to magnacore wires and double platnum plugs from autolite. use a cross-reference. good luck...you've got QUITE hte job ahead of you for this problem to go away. Steve. hope this helps.

I'll second that. My first '91 I had did the same thing when it warmed up. Like a dumb*** I bought the car from a dealership. The some salesman tried to tell me that it was supposed to do that because it was supercharged. I knew that was a crok of BS but other than that the car ran smooth so I bought it. My buddy that was there with me when I bought it told me to do the plugs, but I wasn't very willing to work on the car at that time, and it appeared to be too much involved. I went ahead and did some other things that could have been the culpret that was a little easier to do. (i.e crank sensor, and o2 sensors) Finally I broke down and payed $200 to get them put in. Ran like a champ until it blew up :) Fouled plugs really effect these cars hard.

Brandon

thanks everyone for the info, but this problem started a month after i took my car to the ford dealer to have them put in the autolite plugs and magnacore wires from SC Performance.
At first the car ran fine, then slowly it started to get worse.
But my question is... if it's the plugs or wires why does it only miss or stumble when using boost... wouldn't it do it all the time ... ?

Last edited:
A simple answer...

When the engine is under boost the cylinders are under extreme pressure. Under these conditions it is most likely that a plug that is getting ready to be old is going to show it's true colors early.

It's worn enough to cause a problem at 2 atmoshperes but not one.

Change out those plugs and wires with the proper stuff and That problem should go away. If it doesn't, I would suspect perhaps a boost leak?

Back