purpose of raised top?

SC UL8R1990

I understand what a raised top is and generally that it creates more room for air in the blower to be compressed (right?) .

but thats as far as i know. Id just like to here the technical side of things. I wanna know if a 3/4" or more is worth the money or not.

thanks
walter

me too

i was wondering this a while back. i was told it really gives more torque than hp... would love to have more info on it.. people will jump in on this thread with their experiences real soon!
-damon

Well, from the looks of it - I could see why it would increase the torque a great deal, because there's less air-flow restriction, from the blower, to the intercooler. Just look at the pinch the stock top has, before the collar nut. That's comparable to blowing air through a kinked straw.

However, I don't see why raised tops are so damn expensive. I'd like to see some REAL dyno numbers - before and after a raised top installation.

Last edited:
They're expensive because of the small bit of welding and porting that is required.

Magnum's is expensive because it is a cast piece, not even a Stock modified top.

If you want a cheap one, talk to Thunder Road.

Peace.

In a thread a few months ago, a guy said he dyno'd it before/after. No HP gain, but 20 lb/ft torque. I don't know what year the car/blower were or what other mod's he may have had. Pretty significant, seems to me, but I haven't ponied up the cash either yet. Definitely on the to-do list.

WHAT TO DO ???????????????

WASN,T A BELIEVER IN IT TILL I RESEARCHED ABOUT............BOUGHT ONE WHICH I HAD TO MODIFIY IT ALL WAS DONE WAS 3/4 BARS WELDED ONE IT I MILLED IT OUT OPENED THROAT ............GOT BETTER PERFORMANCE.........STARTED MAKING THEM AS A HOBBY .....FAST FREDDIE:rolleyes: :cool: :D :D

Take a look at freddie's tops in the "for sale" section. His tops are awesome and reasonably priced, definately worth it.

I MADE THE 3/4 TOP MY FIRST MOD........EASIEST TO DO, THEN THE 73 CL MAF, AFTER AIR BOX REMOVED............REMOVED THE EXHAUST AFTER THE HIFLOW CATS AND DOWN PIPES...........NEXT WIRES & PLUGS .............................DOUBLE I/C WITH 8 IN FAN...........GUTTED OUT THEOMOSTAT ........... CUT 14 WIRE ....AND THE FAMOUS 10% PULLEY.........THIS WAS AFTER READING TECH SITES AND TALKING WITH OTHERS........ I CAN HIT 16 LBS OF BOOST... ALSO THE ENGINE WAS REBUILT .20 OVER...CAR PAINTED.. HAS BEEN OVER THE COURSE OF 3 YEARS.......I MOSTLY TAKE TO SHOWS NOW................REALLY NOT WANTING TO BLOW IT UP......IN FACT I WARN OTHERS ABOUT PUTTING YOUR FOOT INTO AS SOMEWHERE DOWN THE LINE.........YOU WILL PAY FOR IT... ....I LIKE TO HELP OTHERS TO GET SOME MORE HP CHEAPLY ....FAST FREDDIE:rolleyes: :cool: :D

You can't look at any single mod on it's own and say how much horsepower it creates. It totally depends on the engine.

If you put a raised top on a completely stock engine, it might not do much. There are just too many other bottlenecks in the system.

But if you had a tricked out engine, with a bigger MAF, TB, S-model blower, ported heads, headers, big exhaust, etc., you can be damn sure there would be a difference between the stock top and a raised top!

Rob Noth said:
But if you had a tricked out engine, with a bigger MAF, TB, S-model blower, ported heads, headers, big exhaust, etc., you can be damn sure there would be a difference between the stock top and a raised top!

Aren't the words 'tricked out' Ricer Ebonics, for the Gearhead/Generic Ebonics conversion of 'souped up'?:confused:

Last edited:
I too am curious about the use of caps on your posts fred. Its a bit hard on the eyes. :confused:
BTW Those tops look very nice, and at that price I'd like one too.

Last edited:
Yeah. I don't quite go back to the 60's, but I'm happy to say I was driving some tricked out cars before these ricer kids were born...

I HAVE TO MAKE SOME UP............GIVE ME 2 WEEKS ....................WILL GET BACK TO YOU.........FAST FREDDIE..........P.S CAPS ARE GOOD FOR MY EYES...:rolleyes: :cool: :D

I understand what a raised top is and generally that it creates more room for air in the blower to be compressed (right?) .

Walter,

The only reason to raise the top is to make space for a larger diameter exit port. The stock top doesn't really create a restriction until about 4500 rpms on a stock engine/blower. So if you just add a raised top to an otherwise stock engine you won't really feel much because of all the other restrictions.

I like the MP 3/4" raised top because it looks stock and doesn't hit the stock hood even if you break a motor mount. I've still got an unwanted power buldge in my hood from the 1-1/4" raised top that was on there.

Wynn's reworked tops look very nice also, and I haven't seen Fast Freddie's tops but he seems to have a good reputation so I'm sure they are fine too.

David

Re: WHAT TO DO ???????????????

ThunderRoad said:
P.S CAPS ARE GOOD FOR MY EYES...:rolleyes: :cool: :D
BUY A NEW KEYBOARD! GEEEZE US! Your keyboard is toast, thus the reason you use caps and ..... for spaces.

Calvin

Back