Help! Car in shop, needs flywheel

BIGJAY21

Mechanic just told me my flywheel was busted. He gave me a quote of $550 for labor and parts, said he needs to drop the tank to take off the driveshaft so he can remove the tranny. Is this right, and is the quote I got pretty average? I have '89 auto, mostly stock. Thanks for quick replys.

Jason

Yup

I just finished putting in a new clutch and flywheel in yesterday. I did it in my not level driveway and I though it was royal pain. I would much rather do my motor mounts again. Depending on where you live and if you think the guy is going to do a good job, that price is not bad.

I agree that the tank should come down too. I started by lowering the diff and pushing the drive shaft over the top. This dod not provide enough room to the get the drive shaft clear of the tranny. When I pulled the tranny back so the input shaft would clear the pressure plate, I could not get the tranny lowered beneath the clutch unless I wanted to have the tranny hanging on the output shaft for a short period of time. I ended up lowering the gas tank.

The exhuast has to come off too.

What happened to your flywheel?

Cheers
MB

I'll go with my mechanic then. He's on the list of knowledgable mechanics and he put my engine in five months ago. I don't know exactly what happened to the flywheel cause I haven't seen it, but I was getting some grinding when I tried to start the car, so, I'm guessing it was missing some teeth. New engine, new starter, old flywheel, maybe it couldn't keep up. Thanks alot.

Jason

Back