help headers are glowing red

shmeeman

how is everyone doin need some help here guys.
A freind of my has a 94 5-speed and about 6 months ago some A-hole put antifreeze in his gas tank.we have replaced the o2 sensor because the great ford wrench monkeys and our local shop said that was the problem.
Well long story short the cars runs for about five minutes and the headers are red hot.we hooked the computer to it and there are no codes.
i would to buy the car becuase its in awsome shape and i know for a fact the car runs good oooops the car RAN good at one time no knocks or pings .

any help would be a great help

P.S. i have a 35th for sale

Well when my car did that it was stubling a tad and ended up being a bad fuel pump..Do a pressure check..Also you can have clogged cats

Its possible your cats are plugged from all the coolant and the exhaust builds up in the headers getting them very very hot!
Are the cats glowing as well ?

What's the nominal EGT (exhaust gas temp)? Don't you think and EGT gauge would be useful to diagnose problems? :p

Do a Search here...

Scott long had a pretty in depth thread that had alot of input that would prolly be very usefull to you as well. He had the same issue you describe pretty much...

If it ran fine before the incodent with the antifreeze in the fuel tank, then I would assume that your problem should be easily resolved...

Good luck

Brad

The HEGOs were destroyed the instant the collant hit them, changing them was the right thing.

The cats are most probably plugged from the coolant.

Aaron

For what it's worth, I have seen this problem with a few other vehicles in the last 20 years or so, and each time it was due to a lean fuel mixture. Adjusting the carburetion (y'all remember carburetors, dontcha?) solved the problem.

Just my 2 cents...

AHhhhh....Another old school guy! Welcome! Man am I glad youre here, us old farts gotta watch it here. The young fella's like to gang up on us! Haaaaaahaha!!
I certainly do remember those days, but you could'nt get me to use a carb now even if you held a gun to my head. No sir I dont miss them one bit.
I helped a fella with this type problem alittle while back, man what a debate I started on that thread. But in the end we got it fixed.;)
Hope to see you around the board.:)

Im another old fart and in fact liked the old carbs. shure I was always ajusting those duel quad 650 hollys. Sometimes raw fuel out of the exhaust and yes when it was lean you bet the headers would glow. I wouldnt trade fuel injection for anything well maybe
dyer and duel quad setup but I was always changeing jets and ajusting air fuel mixture funny thing was I dont thing I ever got it right. I must be getting old.

Just a thought:
The S/C's had both O2 sensors in the ehaders right?? why not get under there, Loosen off/remove the Y-pipe and see how it would run then??

Since i would believe it's the Cats myself too.. when i had a slight coolant link on right bank, it went throu O2 sensors and Cats like , Well my car goes through gas :) least the Cats where cheap for me (got them at cost)

Also 44MM IDF Webers and Cats do not mix well either :)

Youre right. I would eliminate the cats as a possability first. If that turns out not to be the problem I would start pulling codes and checking for vac leaks.;)

scbird1 said:
Im another old fart and in fact liked the old carbs. shure I was always ajusting those duel quad 650 hollys. Sometimes raw fuel out of the exhaust and yes when it was lean you bet the headers would glow. I wouldnt trade fuel injection for anything well maybe
dyer and duel quad setup but I was always changeing jets and ajusting air fuel mixture funny thing was I dont thing I ever got it right. I must be getting old.
I remember all to well the time I spent tuning carbs. I just enjoy letting something else that can do it better than me do it now.:D .......of course every now and then you do have to tell it what to do.;)

Ahh, the good old days.

Holley double pumpers, changing jets, mixture adjustments, choke adjustments, bowl level adjustments, needle valves, power valves........

Now, why did I think that was a lot of fun? :rolleyes:

Lee

Check your balancer, make sure the outer ring hasn't slipped any, could throw the timing off. Slow timing will make your headers glow.

Check the following....

Go to the tail pipes and run the car. If the exhaust is not coming out very well or not at all, and the engine will not rev up and produce exhaust out the tail pipes, the cats are clogged. I have seen this A LOT with anti-freeze and cats. The simple thing is that you (1) change the fuel filter, maybe it's clogged from anti-freeze in the filter medium, (2) if no exhaust, drop exhaust and see if same happens.

Can really only be a few things.....

Good luck.....

The headers getting red is either back-pressure or lean fuel fixture.

Don

Back