help me decide...

92redsc

i have a 93 SC 5 speed that is in good condition (minus the things i am working on) i will have 2000 gs pretty soon to spend on my car. i want to run 14s. how about jet hot coated headers hi flow downpipes and cats, and a catback exhaust all from supercoupeperformance.com and then a 5 % overdrive pulley. and then when i get more money i will upgrade to 38# injectors ad a 190lph fuel pump, but would the exhaust 5 % plus a k&n and air scilencer removed get me into high 14s? also im confused on how to do the air scilencer is it the black thing that is stuffed into the air box?? thanks.

umm.......

I would have a 3.55 rear end put in, full exhaust (including headers) and a 10% pulley. That should easily put you into the high 14's. I have a Auto with the mods listed in my sig and I ran a 14.88@ 94mph

with 2000 to spend....First exhaust...Ported manifolds magnaflow resonator your choice of mufflers...Definately upgrade pump 190 is goodor a 255 if you like..Injectors 38's is ok however you can probably find 42's at a better price 76mm C&L, Intercooler fan..Aluminum underdrive pulleys...GOOD WIRES and Deso Iridium IT20 plugs(do not regap) a ZR intakeand and a 5-10% overdrive blower pulley..

You might want to invest in some drag radials as that will probably increase your 1/4 time more then all the mods listed above:"O)

I fyou hav emoney left

Raised top
75mm TB
double IC

From here things can get expensive..

ESM Ported blower or MP along with a MP inlet...... ported heads...a cam.......Ya know how it is

I bought the SCP's: Hi flow downpipes, cats, and a catback exhaust, mufflers all from supercoupeperformance.com. Bill did a awesome job with this kit, and shipped ASAP for me. But I really love the sound from this system. Very deep and throaty but not crappy like glasspacks. I did not get the headers cause my budget was a little less than yours. If you wany my 2 cents, since you asked for it, I'd get the exhaust before anything. You will not beleive that your car runs and that theres no wonder why we blow HG's when you take off and look at your old system.

The air silencer: Take air filter cover off, then filter out, loosen 3 nuts inside there, pull bottom of filter box out. The silencer is that thing under the oval cutout. It is a real pain to get out unless you loosen a few screws and push clips holding the front bumper cover on and the plastic inner fender. I had the SCP K&N fresh air kit but I put the stock setup back on until I can fab something to keep the K&N from sucking heated air from the overheating engine compartment. (I need a new Radiator).

do not run 3:55's with the 5-speed, run 3:08's if you want to do a lot of mods and 3:27's if you don't plan to do a lot of mods.

thanks

thanks for the help i think im going with the SCP exhaust from the headers to the tailpipes. this and a 5% pulley (its my school car dont want to blow something!) and ya know the usual k&n. this should gimme low 15s in good conditions right? i will settle with that until i get somemore money and then mabey a magnaport2 with some TB and MAF mods. sont really want to do gears cause i need the best gas milage possible. so the white deal and all that is the silencer? just taking that off gives you power? is that really proven cause it sounds like a crock to me cause the silencer goes down under the car for like a cool/ram air effect right?

yes, take the silencer off, once its out you'll see why its restrictive. take that off and put a k&n panel filter in. i definatly felt a difference in power after i took it off and i still had a regular paper filter in, i thought i was going to kill someone or break something becouse i kept on beating on the car that same night hahaha... good luck to you

Silencer removal is a sound modification. It might give you 2 or three horse power. If you still want good gas mileage get the 3:08 gears, they are amazing on the highway and accelerate a lot better than the 2:73's. I had gotten as much as 31 mpg on the highway with those gears. Plus they will be better and better with the more mods that you put on.

hmmmm

so this is the plan, full exhaust from SCP: Mid-length coated headers, downpipes with highflow cats, 2 1/2 - 3 - 2 1/2 inch cat back exhaust. this is about 1650. then 3.08 gears and of course my k&n and scilencer removed. then if i still have some money, 190 lph fuel pump and 38 or 42# injectors. will this be a good starting point? i dont want anything fancy just trying to drop my quarter a bolt-on at a time!!! what do you think these mods will put my ET and MPH at??? im guesing high 14s???

You'll need a chip or a tuner to change the injectors, which you don't really need until you do some more serious engine mods.

If you upgrade the injectors, then you will need to upgrade your MAFS (thus not needing to get a EEC Tuner, I beleive, however a Tuner will be able to mod quite a few more things than without it).

Back