PDA

View Full Version : weird noise

nitrouspaul
09-11-2003, 09:05 PM
when i shut the car off there is this decending noise sounds like

HMMMmmmm....THUNK and it seems to be coming from the front right part of the car. I suspect it may have something to do with the abs system because I hear the pump goin on more than usual lately. I have had a new accululator installed about 9 months back. About a month ago the car started to pull to the right and the brake pedal went really hard, but only after a lot of stopping in traffic. I suspect a seizing caliper piston on the left side after things heat up a bit.I shall somehow try to determine if it is front or back.

Anyway I need some diagnostic ideas here. I have a code reader and some mechanical knowhow. Also the idle is acting a bit funny lately. Can you clean the idle air control valve or reset/check it's values with an ohm meter.

Thanks to all in advance. If it were not for this board I would have left the car unattended at a car jacker rally long time ago.....

BobGPz
09-11-2003, 10:23 PM
If you get a dying goose sound, then your IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) is on it's way out. The IAC is on the throttle body kidof overhanging the Throttle Posistion Sensor.

Mine made that noise for a year before it finally went capoot. But boy did it give me problems when it was real bad. DO NOT try and clean it out!! Trust me! Just leave it alone OR replace it. Mine cost $80 with gasket so drive it till you either get $80 or it is giving you problems like a 2000 rpm idle.

Edit... AGAIN, DO NOT TRY AND CLEAN IT OUT, IT WILL JUST END UP WORSE and UNDRIVEABLE.

sail7seas
09-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Dying goose is gone. (IAC problem)

Thank you for the diagnosis and resolution to problem!!!!!!

It takes more than Two sets of fingers to accomplish task
due to wiring harnesses.

Nothing is easy on this car.

But thank you forum again!!!!!

BobGPz
09-17-2003, 03:15 PM
No prob!:D