Snout Seal and Trans. Problems

mattie

Whats up guys? My little brother just got his license. A friend of mine had this xr7 that didnt run but is in really good shape. We picked it up for $500!! I got it running. (cps of course).
Runs mint except for the front supercharger snout seal. I looked at other posts for the correct seal number, got it and its not the right one. i didnt take it apart originally so i was wondering if this seal is sopposed to ride on the pulley or just against it. i.e. the seal goes in backwards. I'm really pulling my hair out over this thing. Now, he drove the car for 1 day, i get behind the wheel, the transmission starts slipping!!! He drove it around all day with the kickdown cable off of the throttle body so i dont know if that had anything to do with it. Pleaseee let me know if anyone else has had these problems. thanks
matt

STOP driving that car NOW!
The TV cable being disconnected does cause slippage and if you drive it long enough that way it will burn the clutch's up in the tranny. Get the TV pressure set right before you start driving the car again. It may already be too late though. You dont have to drive the car very much at all with the cable disconnected to burn it up.
Good luck.:)

Thanks Mike. the problem is, the little clip on the throttle body was gone when we bought the car and a zip tie was holding it on so we dont know when it fell off. im gonna go read on how to set the tv pressure now. when its set right, will it automatically "find" the correct gear to be in? I've fixed alot of problems, but i know absolutely nothing about auto transmissions.
thanks
-matt

Here is a picture of the seal i bought for my SC. It might look a little different from yours as mine is the $30 seal that is double lipped and coated with viton.

The part you see is the part that should go INTO the supercharger snout. Thus in parlance, that is the BACK of the seal.

No part of the seal should touch the pulley. The seal should fit inside the bore of the snout and be set in a bit.

Attachments

• snoutsealback.jpg
    snoutsealback.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 131
Thanks Mike. the problem is, the little clip on the throttle body was gone when we bought the car and a zip tie was holding it on so we dont know when it fell off.Yes its a common problem with the clip breaking. The fact that you dont know when it come off is not good. You can burn up the clutch's within a couple of miles with the cable disconnected.

im gonna go read on how to set the tv pressure now. I dont know what procedure you are reading about but I'll say this. If the procedure does not involve using a pressure gauge I would not use that procedure. You must use a gauge to get it set right, the adjustments are very sensitive and you just cant get it right unless you set by a gauge.

when its set right, will it automatically "find" the correct gear to be in? Yes. But if damage has already been done it will not work right.
Good luck.:)

thanks guys. The trans is wasted. it only has 1st and 2nd. about that seal...i do have that seal, only mine is not viton. it fits in the bore of the charger, but i really dont see how thats gonna seal it unless it actually rides on the pulley itself. why else would there be a retainer spring on the other side?

Sorry to hear about the tranny.:(
The blower seal fits down in the bore of the nose and it seals the case to the shaft. The seal does not ever touch the pulley. That would destroy the seal.

Originally posted by mattie
thanks guys. The trans is wasted. it only has 1st and 2nd. about that seal...i do have that seal, only mine is not viton. it fits in the bore of the charger, but i really dont see how thats gonna seal it unless it actually rides on the pulley itself. why else would there be a retainer spring on the other side?
mattie, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the SCCoA. At that price, go ahead and bite the bullet and start shopping for trans repair/replacement. You get it fixed, you'll never be sorry because of the grin that'll go ear to ear when ya drive it.

About the seal, remove the pulley again and then remove the clip. Take the old seal out and install the new one behind the clip inside of the blower snout.

Fix that Cat up and prepare to go out and bust some 5.0 Stangers!

'bird

Back